Open & closing dates
01/12/2018 to 01/25/2018
$22.28 to $25.98 per hour
Pay scale & grade
Full-Time - This is a full-time position.
Permanent - This is a permanent appointment.
1 vacancy in the following location:
Apply for this exciting position to support the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
Learn more about this agency
For over two centuries the USCG has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 17-1463-SE-CC-M-R2. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS. NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Coast Guard, C4IT SC, Command, Control, and Communication/Engineer Center (C3CEN), Product Line Division, CAMS/COMSTA PL Branch, Pungo, VA.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
The Antenna Mechanic installs, inspects, maintains and repairs radio towers and antennas. Duties involve modifying, replacing hardware and fittings, changing lights, checking tension and replacing guy wires, and splicing and installing RF cables. The mechanic installs, maintains and repairs antennas and antenna support structures, transmission lines, heliax and coaxial cable, baluns, pressurization and dehydrator units, transmit antenna multi-couplers, and performs routine maintenance of the antenna fields.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Climbing radio towers up to 720 feet or more in height and works with high voltages in close proximity to the source of high frequency radio waves.
- Performing preventative and corrective maintenance in accordance with established preventative maintenance procedures and schedules, while demonstrating proper work practices.
- Removing, replacing, tightening, splicing, soldering and insulating, wiring, controls, equipment and fixtures. Locate defective parts/equipment through visual observation or through the use of test equipment.
- Assisting with the installation of different types of power transforming equipment related to tower lighting systems.
- Completing repairs to installed systems, and rearranges and connects items such as outlets, switches, light fixtures, regulators, and circuit breakers.
- Erecting and replacing poles, fabricates and installs tower structural members, guys and guy anchors.
- Installing underground cable, conduit and ductwork and installs ducts and manholes.
- Installing electrical cable, control cable and transmission lines thru conduit, duct manholes and direct burial, makes electrical connections, and splices cables.
- Maintaining antenna maintenance records for all installed systems, including parts lists, updated technical manuals and a current inventory for all installed antennas.
- Qualifying antenna crew personnel on the uses and operation of the following equipment: heavy line truck, hoists, block and tackle, ditch witch, bulldozer, tractor, mowers and brush clearing equipment, quad vehicles and associated rigging equipment.
- Traveling to remote sites and other Coast Guard units to perform antenna and antenna system maintenance and assist in tower inspections as directed.
25% or less - This position require moderate travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This vacancy is open to all U.S. Citizens and is being advertised under delegated examining procedures.
For definitions of common terms found in this announcement click here
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
How to Apply
Fair & Transparent