This position is located in the Department of Health And Human Services, Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Office of the General Counsel, headquartered in Washington, District of Columbia.
Learn more about this agency
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations.
This position is in the Excepted Service.
The Attorney Advisor will perform the following duties:
- Examine and prepare appropriate response to complaints and hearing requests;
- Prepares the answers, motions, affidavits, briefs, or other pleadings appropriate to the defense of the cases for filing in the courts or administrative tribunals in conformity with applicable rules and regulations;
- Conducts depositions and all other discovery of adverse witnesses and performs cross examination during formal proceedings;
- Advise agency officials on other general and administrative law topics. Familiarity with other general law areas (e.g. federal appropriations law and federal information law) is desirable;
- Attends pretrial and pre-hearing conferences and presents all required motions, statements, summaries, and witness lists;
- Negotiates directly with opposing counsel regarding offers of settlements;
- Prepares in writing and orally presents legal and factual arguments and required motions.
This announcement will be used to fill Attorney Advisor vacancies that specialize in Information Law, Employment Law, and Procurement Law.
For more information on the Attorney Advisor positions, please refer to the link below:
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.