Apply for this exciting position to support the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
Learn more about this agency
For over two centuries the USCG has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S Coast Guard, District 11, Sector San Francisco, Command Center, San Francisco, CA.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
The incumbent will serve as a Coast Guard Sector Command Center (SCC) Operations Unit Watch stander, responsible for maintaining information management, situational awareness, and command and control over all Coast Guard operations in the Sector area of responsibility.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Overseeing and monitoring the Sector's response to Search and Rescue (SAR) cases in order to minimize loss of life and property at sea.
- Developing search action plans while investigating and coordinating ongoing activities and operations within the Area of Responsibility (AOR).
- Providing command and control over Coast Guard assets in all maritime law enforcement operations within the Sector AOR.
- Maintaining command and control of Coast Guard assets conducting Ports Waterways and Coastal Security (PWCS) missions, including those accomplished by other government agencies (OGAs).
- Analyzing and disseminating a variety of nautical data such as current, tides, weather.
- Interacting with federal, state, and local government agencies while coordinating response to SAR, Law Enforcement, PWCS, Marine Environmental Response (MER), and other Coast Guard missions.
Occasional travel - This position requires occasional travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Merit Promotion, Status Candidates, Current Federal Employees, Former Federal Employees, Overseas Employees, Former Overseas Employees, CTAP, ICTAP, VRA, VEOA, 30% Disabled, Schedule A, Individuals with Disabilities, Military Spouses, Peace Corps, Americorps, Vista
For definitions of common terms found in this announcement click here
Questions? This job is open to 7 groups.