Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®!
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Information Officer, Office of Application Engineering & Development (OAED). The OAED builds and deploys the business systems and services to support the USPTO mission. The UX Division (UXD) ensures that USPTO websites and business systems are designed and built with the direct end-user in mind at all times, and are highly usable, useful, desirable and accessible.
This position serves as a User Interface (UI) Software Developer and technical lead for assigned user interface software development projects and initiatives.
This vacancy announcement is for 1 position. The duty station of the selectee will be either Alexandria, VA or Denver, CO.
The salary will be dependent on the duty location of the selectee.
Denver, CO: GS-13: $ 94,890.00 - $123,358.00 per annum
Alexandria, VA: GS-13: $ 96,970.00 - $126,062.00 per annum
- A probationary period may be required.
This position is also being announced under the USPTO’s Merit Promotion Program, the Job Announcement Number is CIO-2018-0023. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the Merit Promotion Program.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that do not fall under competitive examining procedures as this announcement; however, they may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
Learn more about this agency
The individual selected for this position:
- Applies the methods and techniques of computer science to analyze and provide solutions for complex front-end oftware problems. Solves a wide range of development, operational and support problems to meet customer requirements; and draws upon multiple computer science and information technology specialties in order to accomplish complex tasks.
- Initiates, plans and conducts applied research and exploratory development in the fields of computer science with emphasis on software design, modeling and simulation, and requirements engineering. Researches emerging technologies, architectures and standards; advises managers, customers and others as needed, on software technologies, architectures, standards and guidelines.
- Reviews deliverables from other team members; performs front-end code and design reviews for other developers and contractors; provides estimates and breakdown of work and associated level of effort, for front-end development activities; and provides breakdown of front-end requirements into modules for implementation by, and provides technical guidance for, less senior members of the team.
- Applies the methods and techniques of computer science to analyze and provide solutions for complex front-end software problems. Solves a wide range of development, operational and support problems to meet customer requirements; and draws upon multiple computer science and information technology specialties in order to accomplish complex tasks.