1 vacancy in the following location:
SPECIFIC VACANCY INFORMATION:
Consumer Safety Inspector, GS-1862-10, SJ-519
Establishment: M7650, Cascade Wholesale Meats, located in Cascade county
Work Schedule: Relief, Mon - Fri, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Activity: *RELIEF POSITION* Headquartered out of Cascade Wholesale Meats, Est. 7650. Relief position covers slaughter and processing assignments throughout the Denver District; hours and days vary.
GS-10: $55,720 to $72,437
Learn more about this agency
- All applicants (including FSIS employees) must provide a copy of their Notification of Personnel Action (Form SF-50) that includes, tenure and career-conditional/career status and preferably includes position title, series and grade.[Note: FSIS bargaining unit employees are exempted from this requirement in accordance with the Labor Management Agreement]
- This is a Bargaining Unit position covered by the National Joint Council (NJC) of Food Inspection Locals.
As a CSI you will ensure that regulated establishments produce a safe product by executing appropriate inspection methods, determining noncompliance with regulatory requirements, documenting noncompliance and initiating enforcement action, where warranted. Here's what you will be assigned to do:
- Verify that meat and poultry slaughter and/or processing establishments’ Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plans meet regulatory requirements and are being executed effectively to prevent unsanitary conditions and adulteration of product.
- GS-10 (SJ-519) Involves working in a relief capacity in plants of all types, and often incorporating a district’s entire geographic area. Addresses a variety of problems and issues for which there may be several possible courses of action contained in a wide range of established regulations, practices, and procedures.
- Independently performs Hazard Analysis Verification (HAV). HAV is an analytical review of establishments' production process in order to ensure regulatory obligations to conduct a food safety hazard analysis.
Review records, observe plant operations and conduct hands-on verification to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. You will prepare detailed documentation (Non-Compliance Records) of noncompliance with regulatory requirements. You will determine when regulatory control action is necessary. You will assess whether the plants corrective or preventative actions are acceptable and effective, if there are trends in noncompliance, or if enforcement action is warranted.
Conduct regulatory oversight activities inside plants in matters relating to other consumer protections (e.g., economic adulteration and misbranding).
Have contact with plant managers, owners and others to explain legal and regulatory requirements, discuss operation of the plants SSOP, HACCP plan and other food safety programs. You will communicate on and defend determinations on noncompliance issues and discuss plans for addressing non-compliance. You will also work with a variety of individuals to resolve problems, clarify differences of interpretation concerning HACCP and other food safety or consumer protection requirements and you will advise other Agency inspectors, supervisors and officers on inspection and enforcement matters for which you are involved. You may conduct various samplings, surveys and tests to obtain pertinent data on potential problem areas, industry trends, or other issues of current interest to the Agency.
You may be involved in performing health and safety verification sampling and tests for detection of specific microbes (e.g., salmonella, listeria, etc.), residues or contaminants. You may also perform direct, structured sampling involving Protein Fat Free (PFF), undeclared species, undeclared ingredients or suspected economic violations involving net weight or labeling.
75% or less - Travel required may vary, depending on geographical assignment; may exceed 75%.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current permanent Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) employees with competitive status and USDA CTAP/RPL eligibles.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
How to Apply
Fair & Transparent