Federal Highway Administration has Engineering Technician (Construction) positions available in several Federal Lands Highway Divisions. Projects occur primarily on Federal Lands managed by other Federal agencies (e.g., National Park Service & U.S. Forest Service) & include multi-state areas.
This establishes an open continuous NTE 12 months, vacancy announcement for Engineering Technician (Construction), we will review applications quarterly. *See "Evaluations” for more information.
Learn more about this agency
As a Engineering Technician-Construction, at the entry level, duties include:
- Assist construction inspector in charge of paving plant with responsibility for control of mix, mixing time, lying, finishing, and curing.
- Assist bridge inspector with checking line and grade, checking forms, placement of reinforced or structural steel or other similar work connected with bridges, large box culverts, or large retaining walls.
- Serve as instrument operator on construction engineering stakeout of project, including staking of centerline, slope staking, and setting of grade stakes or similar work in monitoring and evaluating contractor staking.
- Sample materials for testing, computes quantities of materials processed and work performed, prepares weekly progress reports, etc., or monitors contractor sampling and testing procedures for accuracy.
- Observe and evaluate safety precautions of contractor and calls attention to infractions of safety regulations.
The Ideal Candidate for this position is a technician with education and/or experience in the technical aspects of highway construction, and ensuring compliance with contract specifications, technical direction and guidance, and contract administration services and support.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an Engineering Technician position, NOT a Civil Engineer position. Please visit FHWA.HFL-2018-0011/FHWA.HFL-2018-0012 to carefully review the qualifications required for a Civil Engineer and to determine if you are also interested in applying for the Civil Engineer position.
75% or less - Position requires 70% travel.