Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1892837
The Birmingham VA Medical Center (BVAMC) is recruiting for one (1) full-time Health Science Specialist - Patient Safety Manager for the Birmingham VAMC, located in Birmingham, Alabama. The BVAMC is one of the facilities of the VA Southeast Network (VISN 7).
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This position is open to current, permanent employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs NATIONWIDE.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
Please read the entire announcement before beginning the application process to ensure you submit all the required documents.
The Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center (BVAMC) is an integral part of the Medical community that provides acute, tertiary, medical, and surgical care to Veterans of Alabama. The Medical Center provides care to a veteran population of 415,000 in Alabama and treats approximately 66,000 unique veterans annually. The medical center serves as a referral center for this area with 131 operating beds with care provided in almost all medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties.
Birmingham, AL is located in the heart of the Southeastern United States and is a progressive center for medical research, banking, music, technology, art, engineering, and higher education. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., mental retardation (intellectual disabilities), severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact on the last page of the JOA for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Department of Veterans Affairs provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify this facility's Human Resources Management Office at (205) 933-8101 ext. 4597. The decision on the type of reasonable accommodation to be granted will be made on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE: If you apply for this position electronically (On-Line), you do not need to apply manually using the OPM Form 1203-FX (OPM-Occupational Questionnaire). If you complete and fax the OPM Form 1203-FX to the designated fax number listed in this vacancy announcement, It will override your previous application you have already submitted electronically (On-Line). Therefore, please apply for this position using one method only (i.e., apply electronically [On-Line] or apply manually using the OPM Form 1203-FX). If you apply using both the electronic (On-Line) and manual (OPM FORM 1203-FX) methods, it will result in a duplicate processing error and you may lose consideration for this position.
The Patient Safety Manager functions as the lead manager, coordinator, and point of contact for patient safety policies and activities developed by the National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS) at the BVAMC. The incumbent is the facility's key person to help build and implement patient safety systems and promote the culture of safety within the VA facilities and for VA patients in all healthcare settings.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Works with all levels of staff within the facility to train and direct patient safety activities
- Responsible for translating policies, theories and strategies related to patient safety
- Responsible for training and implementation of patient safety, RCA and HFMEA processes
- Responsible for maintaining clear communication relevant to patient safety between facility and NCPS
- Responsible for planning, organizing, developing, managing and evaluating the medical center's patient safety program
- Performs Root Cause Analysis (RCA) activities such as: SAC classification; just in time training; identification of RCA team members; supports RCA teams; ensures that RCAs are complete; proficient in the use of SPOT; supports aggregate review process; follows-up on RCA actions/outcome measures
- Performs general patient safety programmatic functions
- Conducts periodic environmental patient safety inspections
- Publicizes/promotes patient safety activities
- Disseminates Patient Safety Reporting System (PSRS) program information
- Provides new employee orientation and training
- Develops facility patient safety training program
- Evaluates the RCA process and makes improvements as appropriate
- Develops and coordinates internal review systems to ensure patient safety activities are in compliance with standards and regulatory requirements
- Analyzes data, identifies trends and concerns of issues
- Maintains/monitors program requirements/validation criteria for the facility's patient safety program
- Performs other similar or related duties as assigned
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Health Systems Specialist (Patient Safety Manager) - PD# 8984-0
Relocation: Relocation expenses or Incentive is authorized for this position.
Bargaining Unit Status: This position IS NOT a part of the bargaining unit.