As a Licensed Practical Nurse (Primary Care) at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System, Nursing - Outpatient Services, the incumbent serves as member of the health care team providing care and treatment to Veterans. The LPN completes assigned duties and responsibilities, which involve performing non-standard and specialized practical nursing activities, requiring broad work experience and demonstrated skill sufficient to resolve a range of nursing problems.
Learn more about this agency
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
- Assist with and transfer patients in, to, and form the exam table, wheelchair, chair and/or stretcher. Escorts patients to appointments within the hospital and off-station as assigned. Utilizes safe patient handling (SPH) equipment as appropriate to prevent injury to peers, patients and self.
- Prepares, administers and appropriately documents actions taken specific to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intradermal, and/or intravenous medications as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures.
- Applies proper medical and surgical aseptic techniques, as well as isolation precautions in performance of patient care and maintenance of a safe environment.
- Corrects or reports safety hazards and enforces smoking regulations.
- Serves as a responsible member of the nursing team and interacts in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care through the use of acceptable and establish customer service standards.
- Interacts with patients according to the Patient Bill of Rights, VA Code of Patient Concerns, and Nursing Service philosophy to provide holistic care to patients.
- Maintains general cleanliness and order within the patient's and staff's immediate environment and encourages patients and staff to take pride in their environment.
- Accurately reports and documents in the medical record patient findings and care provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required