OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
Learn more about this agency
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Advanced Staff
Medical Technologist (Chemistry Specialist), carries out all of the testing responsibilities of the GS-09,
but has higher levels of professional responsibilities and expertise. At the GS-10 level the Advanced Staff Technologist will focus on pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic processes in the area of Chemistry at the Sacramento VA Medical Center. The Technologist has professional oversight responsibilities in these areas to include supply functions, quality control review and new method development. Additionally, the Technologist has responsibility for specific Laboratory-wide functions, such as employee competency assessment, training and quality assurance. The Technologist will act as a professional resource to other technicians and technologists.
The incumbent will focus on pre-analytic, analytic, and post analytic processes for Chemistry testing at the Sacramento Medical Center: Some of the duties include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluates testing activities to assess ongoing-day-to-day compliance with established protocols and guidelines.
- Provides guidance and technical direction necessary for accomplishing the work in the department to ensure appropriate prioritization and timely completion of tasks.
- Coaches staff in the selection and application of appropriate problem solving methods and techniques. Provides advice on work methods, practices, and procedures.
- Assists the Chemistry Supervisor with staff orientation, training, competency and proficiency testing.
- Works with other clinics to ensure standardization of hematology, coagulation and urinalysis
- Assists in periodic equipment maintenance, linearity studies and other studies as needed, to ensure completion time.
- Assists in the review of monthly, quarterly, etc., equipment logs and assures that proper routine maintenance is being done by technologists.
- Works with the Chemistry Supervisor, Laboratory Management and System Quality Assurance officer in monitoring and reporting of quality issues. Performs routine quality assessments promptly and accurately.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday -8:00am - 4:30pm
Rotating Shifts: No
Required to work holidays or weekends: Yes
Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA): Exempt
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Technologist (Advanced Staff Medical Technologist Chemistry Specialist)