Medical Technologist position is assigned to Clinical Testing Unit within P&LMS at Dayton VAMC, Dayton, Ohio. The incumbent to this position performs a variety of delicate and complex tests on biological specimens and organ tissues and serves as a generalist in medical technology with responsibility for performing procedures in all areas of Chemistry Hematology/Coagulation, Blood Bank, Urinalysis & Specimen Processing, and limited Microbiology & Serology as needed during irregular tours of duty.
Learn more about this agency
Principle duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Follows prescribed procedures, performs any tests in the unit to which he/she is temporarily or permanently assigned.
- Collects (by venipuncture) and prepares human samples for analysis; responds to time factor to insure that the physiologic state of specimens is maintained.
- Selects, performs, evaluates and monitors the performance of non-routine and specialized test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols.
- Recognizes and reacts to indicators of malfunction; locates and implements corrections; recognizes and defines testing problems and evaluates methods for solution.
- Evaluates, guides, or implements possible alternative approaches to standard methods; utilizes advanced knowledge of specialized and complex subject matter extending beyond the duties of test performance.
- Plays a role in establishing and developing the testing and examination procedures carried out in the laboratory; solves testing problems, suggests solutions to testing problems, and performs newer/more complex tests and examinations.
- Participates in process improvement data driven decision making, and team driven change to continuously improve operations.
- Responsible for the generation of laboratory results from the work area into the laboratory computer system and for the editing and verification of the results recorded into the computer system.
Work Schedule: 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm with variable hours including holiday and weekend rotations.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required