Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Indian Health Service (IHS), Division of Clinical Service, Anesthesiology Branch, Gallup, NM and will report to the Chief of Anesthesiology. The incumbent serves as an Independent Licensed Nurse Anesthetist determining and providing treatment plans and services for patients undergoing a wide variety of surgical operations.
This is an open continuous announcement. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep your application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Determines and provides treatment plans and services for patients undergoing a wide variety of surgical operations.
- Conducts pre-operative assessment of the surgical patient by reviewing the clinical chart and interviewing the patients.
- Establishes the treatment plan and administers the proper anesthesia technique to include: general anesthesia or sedation to include the patient to the proper state of anesthesia depth, utilizing a variety of drugs and techniques, or regional anesthesia to produce insensitivity to surgical stimuli.
- Manages patient conditions throughout surgery which involves interpreting and utilizing data from a variety of monitoring devices and determining the need for and applying appropriate supportive therapy.
- Manages the post-anesthesia care of patients by reviewing clinical chart; conducting interviews to determine presence of absence of complications and assuring continuity of care from surgery to recovery room.
- Participates in emergency cases by applying resuscitation techniques throughout the medical facility.