Learn more about this agency
Provide nursing expertise and leadership in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating care to patients with or at risk for type 2 Diabetes Mellitus; educates patients and families, consultation to the service unit, tribal, area and IHS-wide health care professionals, This position is located at Indian Health Service (IHS), Navajo Area Indian Health Service (NAIHS), Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), Division of Clinical Services, Branch of Diabetes, Gallup, NM.
- Manages care of clients with or at risk for type 2 Diabetes Mellitus by utilizing professional judgment and the IHS Diabetes Standards of Care.
- Provides individual and group education.
- Evaluates the psychosocial and cultural aspects of diabetes as a chronic disease.
- Performs clinical procedures when necessary.
- Coordinates diabetes care and patient visits with other department for the prevention of diabetes-related complications.
- Works closely with other members of the Diabetes Team
- Works on an on-going basis in developing and implementing diabetes prevention programs.
- Develops case management guidelines.
- Assists with development and revision of policies and procedures relating to diabetes and participates in performance improvement activities (annual audit, accreditation, etc.).
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.