This position is being concurrently advertised to All US Citizens Candidates under vacancy announcement #17-NA30-46-USC. You must apply to the vacancy for which you wish to receive consideration. If you wish to be considered for this position under both Excepted Service and Merit Promotion Procedures, you must apply to both announcements.
Learn more about this agency
Where is this position located?
Electric Boat Shipyard
US Department of Energy
Groton, CT 06340
Naval Reactors Mission:
Provide the Nation with safe, effective, and affordable nuclear propulsion plants and ensure their continued safe and reliable operation through lifetime support, research and development, design, construction, specification, certification, testing, maintenance, and ultimate disposal.
A relocation or recruitment incentive may be offered to a highly qualified candidate.
As the Senior Naval Reactors Representative, you will:
- Oversee nuclear reactor safety programs and overall planning, direction, coordination, and implementation of joint Department of Energy and Department of the Navy programs at Electric Boat Corporation and U.S. Naval activities in the Groton area.
- Evaluate manpower requirements for naval nuclear propulsion plant work at the shipyard including engineering, quality control, radiological control, trade, and support personnel.
- Plan and direct a program for independent surveillance of naval nuclear work for conformance with program technical directives.
- Oversee and manage the nuclear quality control program for shipyard-performed naval nuclear work and audits and inspects to ensure the shipyard nuclear quality control program results in the requisite quality of work.
- Manage, oversee, direct, and approve test programs and procedures which are required for the testing of naval nuclear propulsion plants.
- Management, oversee, and direct servicing programs and procedures which are required for initial installation of naval nuclear reactors.
- Evaluate performance of shipyard management and resident Department of Energy reactor plant prime contractor managers and engineers responsible for naval nuclear work.
- Review and advise on condition of shipyard facilities for performing naval nuclear propulsion plant work in the Groton and Quonset Point areas, including cranes.
- Plan and direct a program for random, unannounced inspections of nuclear propulsion plants, both operating and in a maintenance status.
- Serve as one of the principal advisors of the Deputy Administrator for Naval Reactors on policy and technical issues affecting nuclear propulsion plant work at shipyards and on operation and maintenance of naval nuclear propulsion plants.
- Represent the Deputy Administrator for Naval Reactors in frequent contacts with the shipyard senior management for matters affecting policy and for technical aspects of work, testing, and safeguards on nuclear-powered naval vessels.
- Provide guidance and direction to Department of Energy reactor plant prime contractor resident technical experts assigned at the shipyard.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel 6-8 times per year, approximately one week at a time.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
•Current Federal Employees
•Former Federal Employees Eligible for Reinstatement
•CTAP / ICTAP
•30% Disabled Veterans
•Veterans eligible under VEOA
•Individuals with Disabilities (Schedule A)
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.