The incumbent is the Psychiatrist for the Mental Health Program, and is responsible for the provision of Mental Health treatment and services for veterans enrolled in all of the various components of the program, such as the Inpatient, Outpatient, Day Treatment, and Mental Health (MHICM).
Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday (8:00am to 4:30pm); may be required to work evenings or weekends
Recruitment Incentives May Be Available For Highly Qualified Applicants.
"You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this Medical Center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information".
- Performs clinical work describing human behavior, determining the reasons for that behavior and predicting and/or modifying the behavior.
- Performs psychiatric evaluations, and treatment of patients with problems of personality, emotional adjustment, or mental illness.
- Prescribes medications as deemed necessary for the treatment of mental illnesses.
- Promotes, supervises, and/or performs psychotherapy with patients, either through individual sessions or through group therapy sessions. Uses therapeutic techniques.
- Based on data gathered through assessments, plans an appropriate clinical treatment for individual patients.
- Recommends appropriate therapy based on precedent and standards of the profession.
- Therapy recommended is appropriate for the diagnosis involved and is considered among the most effective for the common condition involved.
- Develops a comprehensive treatment plan for a wide range of abnormal behaviors.
- Treatment includes adjusting therapy for the differential diagnosis of functional or organic disorders.
- Prepares and presents a formal treatment plan to the multi-disciplinary team.
- Develops comprehensive treatment plans specific to the patient. The patients assigned often have multiple complicating factors (i.e., physical disabilities, lack of support or resources) or other
external or environment considerations that complicate treatment.
- Oversees other professionals and/or works as a key team member providing comprehensive psychiatric and medical care for a group of individuals.
- Promotes a psychotherapeutic atmosphere among the professional treatment staff.
- Conducts psychotherapy in difficult, multifaceted cases.
- Over sees the treatment performed by medical students and psychiatry residents and instructs them in the typical patterns of progression of mental illnesses during treatment.
- Identifies characteristics of progress and adjustments to treatment that are typical in certain circumstances.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.