The incumbent practices as a direct supervisor for nurses within Montana VA Health Care System and supports the mission and vision of the Health Care System. This Nurse Manager has immediate oversight of the nursing staff on the Medical/Surgical Unit, ICU, Float Pool, and Infusion Clinic. The Nurse Manager is responsible for the overall delivery of care in the assigned area and also for the direct supervision of the nurses in his or her assigned area.
Learn more about this agency
Designated first-line supervisory authority, responsibility, and accountability for the 24/7 operations of the Medical/Surgical Unit, ICU, Float Pool, Infusion Clinic, ensuring that subordinate personnel provide timely nursing care which complies with generally accepted standards of clinical practice. This includes the authority to accept, amend, or reject the work of subordinates. Has continuing responsibility for all the following functions:
- Planning work to be accomplished by subordinates, setting priorities, and preparing schedules for completion of work
- Assigning work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and the requirements of the assignments, and the capabilities of subordinates Evaluating the performance of subordinates
- Making recommendations for appointments, advancements or reassignments of subordinates
- Giving advice, counsel, or instruction to subordinate personnel on work and administrative matters
- Allows for growth and participation in shared governance councils
- Hearing and resolving complaints of subordinates and referring more serious complaints not resolved to higher level supervisors
- Trends, monitors and analyzes unit specific data. Develops and implements performance improvement plans based on unit specific data to improve performance measures. Recommending and/or taking disciplinary action where appropriate; and
Identifies developmental and training needs of subordinates and providing or making provision for such development and training (VA Handbook 5007, Part Ill, Chapter 8). Responsible for patient and employee safety, interviewing applicants, employee relations, standards of care and practice, the work environment, and accreditation and regulatory standards. Actively develops and manages collaborative partnerships with physicians and other clinicians. Responsible for timely scheduling of the unit, coaches staff, addresses employee conduct and performance issues, completes recurring reports and performance evaluations in a timely manner. Identifies educational needs of staff and ensures that these needs are addressed.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday; 8:00 to 4:30 or as agreed upon with the possibility of extended hours and weekends.
NOTE: Candidates must be willing to work weekends, irregular work hours and extended hours. The candidate must be willing to be assigned to other related services and/or locations, if necessary.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.