OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise: "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Learn more about this agency
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE"). America's Veterans need you!
NOTE: This is a part-time position (20 hours/week). Benefits and time-off accrual will be prorated and based on your part-time work schedule.
NOTE: This is a TERM appointment (not-to-exceed one year and one day). Term appointments are non-status, nonpermanent appointments of limited duration. Term employees are eligible to earn leave and generally have the same benefits as permanent employees including health and life insurance, within-grade increases and Federal Employees Retirement System and Thrift Savings Plan coverage. Term appointments may be extended without further competition.
The position is located in research and Development Service at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Health Administration in Little Rock, AR. The Research Health Science Specialist's role is, under supervision of a Principal Investigator (PI), to support, facilitate and carry out qualitative and/or quantitative, single or multi-site research projects of that PI. This person will serve as a PI's study coordinator and/or research assistant and make significant contributions to the achievement of the project's research goals.
The position requires a broad range of skills all phases of health services research, including; the ability to follow health services research protocols approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) and the VA Research and Development (R&D) Committee; to recruit and interact with subjects; to perform medical records abstraction; to conduct informed consent; to interview subjects and collect data; to write reports; and to work on manuscripts to be published in peer-reviewed journals. The Research Health Science Specialist will have an important role in training and coordinating the work effort of other Research Health Science Specialists of the same grade or lower.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Project Coordination and Research:
- Coordinates the work of a single or multi-site research study and the work of site coordinators;
- Assists the PI with both qualitative and quantitative research related to the study;
- Assists PI with preparation and submission of NB and R&D paperwork, including at multiple sites if the study is a multi-site study;
- Screens and evaluates candidates for a study, using the protocol's exclusion and inclusion information, and recruits eligible participants;
- Administers clinical and other rating scales to confirm eligibility of potential subjects;
- Obtains informed consent process before conducting and recording quantitative and qualitative interviews with patients or family members;
- Assures that informed consent and HIPAA forms have been properly signed and
- Ensures that participants confidentiality and rights as a human research subject are protected.
Literature Searches, Compilation of Bibliographies and Educational Tools:
- Accesses various library and on-line search engines using specialized software, to perform extensive literature searches on health services/mental disorder topics related to the focus of a research project;
- Prepares summaries for bibliographies for use in educational materials and tools as well as grant applications;
- Compiles and produces educational and training materials for use at all sites;
- Determines the contents needed for training binders and tools;
- Supervises production of the educational and/or training tools and materials.
- Assistant the preparation of manuscripts authored by PI for publication in peer-reviewed health/medical journals; conducts research for the papers;
- Conducts research for the papers; abstracts relevant literature;
- Edits, formats and submits manuscripts to journals; may serve as co-author for some manuscripts.
Coordination of the Work of Other Research Health Science Specialists; Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research Quality Assurance (QA):
- Facilitates and monitors transcription of interviews; manages and monitors collection of medical Records;
- Trains Research Health Science Specialists in the protocol/policies and procedures for the project and in appropriate interview procedures;
- Ensures that they maintain confidentiality and protect the rights of human subjects;
- Participates in training for QA Level 1, Sections I and II reviews;
- Performs the duties of Level I QA reviewer to audit research study records for the presence of documentation for compliance with R&D and IRS standards/requirements.
WORK SCHEDULE: Part-Time; Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 12:00pm
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.