SUPERVISORY FORESTRY TECHNICIAN (FIRE), GS-0462-8/9,
(DOI130, Wildland Fire Operations Specialist),
DOI-Bureau of Indian Affairs, Pacific Region,
Deputy Superintendent - Trust Services,
Forestry and Fire,
GS-9: $74,444 - $57,264 Per Annum
GS-8: $51,845 - $67,404 Per Annum
time hires to the Federal Government normally start at the lower salary range
of the grade level).
NOTE: THIS POSITION IS ALSO BEING ADVERTISED UNDER COMPETITIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
NUMBER PR-18-D-001. STATUS APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO BE
CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH MERIT PROMOTION AND COMPETITIVE PROCEDURES MUST SUBMIT A
SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR EACH ANNOUNCEMENT.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA): Preference eligibles may apply for permanent positions (career or career-conditional appointments) under merit promotion procedures for VEOA appointments; however, veteran's preference is not a factor in these appointments. To be eligible for a VEOA appointment, a veteran must be a preference eligible OR veteran separated after 3 or more years of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions. Applicants must submit a copy of their DD-214 for verification of eligibility. For more information, click here: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/index.aspx#veoa
FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. The majority of individuals, who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
Learn more about this agency
NOTE: This is a supervisory position. Under provision of the Civil Service Reform Act, first-time supervisors are required to serve a trial period before their appointment becomes final. Those who do not satisfactorily complete the trial period will be returned to positions of no lower grade and pay then those they occupied before assuming their supervisory assignment.
NOTE: If the position is filled at a lower grade level, subsequent promotion to the next grade level will be processed without competition under the Merit Promotion Program at such time as performance and qualification requirements are met and classification review discloses the duties being performed properly warrant classification to the next higher grade level.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: The incumbent serves in a key fire management position as a Wildland Fire Operations Specialist. The primary purpose of this position is to provide operational oversight and planning of wildland fire suppression activities, and specialized expertise in assigned zone/area.
· Responsible for the preparedness, prevention, prescribed burning, monitoring, hazardous fuel reduction, and facilities within assigned zone/area.
· Assists in writing and executing wildland fire management plans, prescribed burn plans, and preparedness plans.
· Provides oversight during initial and extended attack fires, directs fireline activities and tactics of dispersed firefighters, resources, equipment, and aircraft.
· Utilizes wildland fire behavior knowledge and firefighting experience and assigns missions to ground and aviation wildland fire suppression resources.
· Performs, and supervises employees in fire prevention, preparedness, detection, resource rehabilitation, mobilization, prescribed fire, aviation operations, and training programs.
· Ensures preparedness of wildland fire suppression equipment and personnel.
· Conducts field reconnaissance of proposed prescribed burn units, and makes recommendations on appropriate treatment techniques for meeting management objectives, drafts prescribed burn plans to meet those objectives and implements appropriate prescribed burn plans.
· Provides technical and administrative supervision to the unit.
· Develops performance standards; evaluates work performance of subordinates; and identifies and provides for routine training needs for subordinates.
50% or less - Regularly operates government vehicles or equipment to perform the duties of the position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
NATION-WIDE / INDIAN PREFERENCE ELIGIBLES / CURRENT STATUS EMPLOYEES OR FORMER EMPLOYEES WITH REINSTATEMENT ELIGIBILITY / VEOA ELIGIBLES
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.