Open & closing dates
09/13/2017 to 09/27/2017
$112,021 to $145,629 per year
Pay scale & grade
Full-Time - This is a Full-Time, Permanent
Permanent - Career/Career-Conditional appointment in the Competitive Service.
2 vacancies in the following locations:
Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
This position is located in the Office of Human Resources, Workforce Employment Division, Trademark Corporate Office Branch. The incumbent will serves as a first level supervisor, providing planning, directing, organizing, and exercising control over nonsupervisory human resources employees assigned to the Workforce Employment Division.
- A supervisory probationary period may be required
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
Learn more about this agency
Serves as a first level supervisor, planning, directing, organizing, and excerising control over nonsupervisory employees assigned to the branch. The duties of this position will include but are not limited to:
- Managing the recruitment, placement, personnel processing, position classification, and position management services for business units within the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Representing the Branch in meetings with high-level officials from the Department of Commerce, other agencies, vendors, and members of external organizations.
- Presenting results of assessments and studies (which may be complex or controversial), negotiating agreements, and influencing approval and implementation of agency-wide solutions and plans.
- Planning work to be accomplished by subordinates; sets and adjusts short-term priorities; and prepares schedules for the completion of work; assigns work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and capabilities of employees; and evaluates the work performance of subordinates.
- Rendering, advising, and/or counseling subordinates on both work assignments and administrative matters.
- Using tact, diplomacy, and patience when communicating and dealing with others, e.g., co-workers, managers, supervisors, and internal/external customers.
- Taking initiative in (1) the identification of needs and potential problems; (2) finding means for their solution; and, (3) developing active and reasonable well-informed management and supervisory participation.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Applications will be accepted from current Federal employees serving on career or career-conditional appointment in the Competitive Service, former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility, persons eligible under special hiring authorities including Schedule A and VEOA, and CTAP/ICTAP eligible candidates in the local commuting area.
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
How to Apply
Fair & Transparent
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.