This position is located in the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), National Mental Health Substance Use Policy Laboratory (NMHSUPL), located in Rockville, MD.
Learn more about this agency
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
For more information about SAMHSA and NMHSUPL, click the "Learn more about the Agency" Box.
Physician positions are a mission critical occupation for SAMHSA. These positions are responsible for formulation of policy and programs to provide advice and assistance to Centers, Department of Health and Human Services, and other Federal entities as related to the medical aspects of primary health care programs for underserved populations.
As the Director of NMHSUPL, you will promote Evidence-Based Practices and service delivery models and giving preference to models that improve:
(A) The coordination between mental health and physical health providers; (B) The coordination among such providers and the justice and corrections system; and (C) The cost effectiveness, quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of health care services furnished to adults with a serious mental illness, children with a serious emotional disturbance, or individuals in a mental health crisis and individuals with substance use disorders; and (D) May include clinical protocols and practices that address the needs of individuals with early serious mental illness.
The Director will also:
- Maintain liaison and represent the Assistant Secretary in meetings with HHS, with other Federal agencies, Congressional committees, and private organizations concerning behavioral health policy;
- Provide executive leadership, managerial direction, and supervision to professional, technical, and support personnel engaged in a variety of broad substantive issues related to policy and program coordination.
- Provide leadership for strategic planning and the development of innovations and reform in SAMHSA program policies;
- Work with Centers and Offices to develop and maintain ongoing mechanisms for obtaining ideas, initiatives, and concerns in the development of state and national program policies with respect to the Presidential/Department initiatives and Agency programs and;
- Seek input from a broad range of partners and stakeholders in forecasting policy needs and developing policy positions.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.