Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
07/12/2019 to 07/26/2019
Pay scale & grade
$42,308 to $55,006 per year
Full-Time - Full time
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
U.S. Citizens and Nationals
The primary purpose of this position is to process mail; assist with processing temporary administrative records; fulfillment of supply requests; and perform property movement projects for the Gallery. Incumbent serves as Support Services Specialist and provides logistics support that is related to and in support of the ASD and NGA missions.
Learn more about this agency
- Receives, deliver, collect, and sort mail, documents, papers and other materials on an established route and time schedule throughout five Gallery campuses.
- Pick-up and delivery of mail include collection of incoming, interoffice and other mail on a predetermined route and using vehicle as needed between Gallery campuses and NGA warehouse.
- Completes mail handling tasks such as rerouting misdirected mail, date stamping, counting mail, screening priority items, preparing and routing control mail, and separating outgoing mail from interoffice and other mail.
- Reviews and refers misdirected, unaddressed, and undeliverable mail or materials to the Senior Support Services Specialist or Department Supervisor.
- Receives, accepts, scans, and process accountable mail, packages, and materials received from mail carriers: DHL, United Parcel Service (UPS), Federal Express; and United States Postal Service (USPS) regular, express, registered, certified, and insured; and all other incoming mail distributors.
- Scans and enters tracking information for incoming accountable mail and uses the Mail Management System (MMS) to receive, track, and deliver mail.
- Incumbent uses a manifest and handheld tracker to process accountable mail for delivery twice daily. Mail is scanned and identified by the mail carrier, tracking number, mail stop, room number, department or subunit, and recipient or addressee's name.
- Provides assistance for the preparation, packing, and boxing of temporary administrative records for official storage.
- Provides NGA record schedule, reviews the paperwork and documentation; pickup and transport records and shredding materials.
- Resolves discrepancies with record preparation and contacts the Senior Support Services Specialist or Department Supervisor when needed to resolve discrepancies.
- Pick-up records and transport to the official records storage area designated at the NGA warehouse.
- Coordinates transport with the Senior Support Services Specialist or Department Supervisor for bulk quantity of records and shredding materials.
- Assists the Supply Department with fulfillment and delivery of supplies to NGA offices. Fulfillment of supplies may be accomplished by either assisting customers at the NGA supply store or transporting supplies from the NGA warehouse and to NGA offices.
- Supply requests are documented and receipts are provided to the Supply Department.
- Assist the Property Department with property movement of materials, furniture, and equipment scheduled to be moved or relocated to the NGA warehouse or to NGA offices.
- Compiles and prepares administrative reports for supervisor on mail counts, daily processing cost and other mail data, record pickup and processing of official records, and other reports as needed.
Conditions Of Employment
- Only U.S. citizens may apply for employment consideration.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males must abide by Selective Service registration requirements
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
- All required documents must be submitted by 11:59PM EST on closing date.
Physical Requirements: Work is sedentary when incumbent is performing in support services and administrative assignments. Also, candidate must be able to work on hard surfaces, in tiring and uncomfortable positions, and in areas that require standing, stooping, lifting, walking, and bending when performing mail and records assignments. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing up to 70 pounds.
Candidates must meet the Qualification Standards Handbook for GS-342-6. This requires at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent in responsibility to the GS-5 level in the Federal service OR 4 years of education above High School level. Specialized experience includes at least two (2) of the following: 1) being responsible for receiving and processing mail via USPS and commercial carriers such as Federal Express, UPS, and DHL; 2) being responsible for processing administrative records for retention and disposal; 3) being responsible for assisting with supply fulfillment and delivery; and 4) being responsible for assisting with property movement and office relocations.
Those applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be evaluated against these factors to determine the best-qualified candidates:
1. Knowledge of U.S. Postal Service (USPS) requirements and guidelines on processing incoming and outgoing mail, including controlled and permit mail.
2. Knowledge of the principles and practices of processing temporary administrative records in a federal agency.
3. Knowledge and experience applying US Customs requirements for USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL and other carrier requirements for processing international mail.
4. Skills in using computer software programs (i.e. MS Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook) to create and update reports, extract information, track work orders, to respond to emails, and provide program status updates to the supervisor.
5. Knowledge of basic property movement and office relocation functions as well as knowledge of loading and unloading cargo in a warehouse environment, and o f basic supply fulfillment functions.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration under merit promotion procedures.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy. If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit.
Some documents may not apply to all applicants. If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you should list the full name and address of the each employer.
- Your experience listing should show the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial video on YouTube.
- It is important that your resume is complete and thorough. If any of the above information is not included in your resume, we may not be able to fully credit you for your experience.
If specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims
which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and final grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
Current and former Federal employees: Most recent SF-50 (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action).
To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- appointment type;
- occupational series;
- pay plan, grade, and step;
- tenure code; and
- service computation date (SCD).
Displaced Federal employees: To be considered CTAP/ICTAP eligible, you must submit documentation verifying your involuntary separation and CTAP/ICTAP status. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transition
for more information.
Veterans: Veteran eligibility documentation
(DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency which will allow you to apply under the (Veterans Opportunity to Work) VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011
Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability
from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits is required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application, including all required supporting documentation (see "Required Documentation" section) no later than 11:59pm U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish! Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish and submit your application before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have an active USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume associated with your USAJOBS account.
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials are ready, click on the 'Apply Online' button to get started.
- You will be given the option to include your resume, documents, and demographic information from your USAJOBS profile. You will then be transferred to the National Gallery of Art's application tracking system. If you select documents from your USAJOBS account, you MUST complete the download process in a later step or your USAJOBS documentation WILL NOT be transferred! See Step 6.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation. If you selected documents from USAJOBS prior to being transferred to our application system (Step 4), you will need to click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process. These documents ARE NOT automatically transferred! It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure that all required documents are either faxed, uploaded, or transferred from USAJOBS successfully. If you are unsure whether your documents went through, please contact the Agency Contact listed on the announcement BEFORE the vacancy closes.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received.If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received!
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your evaluation rating may be adjusted accordingly.
Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- Return to USAJOBS and log in to your account.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Online" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you wish to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed back to NGA's application tracking system where you can make changes, or you can click "Withdraw Application" to remove your application from being considered.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button), please contact the Agency Contact listed on this announcement during normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com. Regretfully, NGA cannot resolve issues with your USAJOBS account. We regret that we are unable to support any issue with USAJOBS, as this service is maintained by the Office of Personnel Management exclusively.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the Agency Contact listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation. Resumes and/or supporting documentation alone will not be considered without the inclusion of a hard copy application packet. The complete package is due no later than 5:30 PM Eastern Daylight Saving Time on the closing date of this announcement.
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in our application tracking system. Once this happens, if you have elected to receive e-mail updates, you will be notified through your USAJOBS registered e-mail address. If you have not elected e-mail updates, you can review your current application status in USAJOBS at any time. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.
In addition to changing your status online, we will send you e-mail notifications at each major step in the process, to include: application received, eligible or not eligible, referred or not referred, selected or not selected.
We expect to make a selection within 30 to 90 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance