Systems Development Lead - IT Specialist (SYSANALYSIS/APPSW) - DE
Patent and Trademark Office
few vacancies in the following location:
Work Schedule is This is a Full-Time, Permanent - Career/Career-Conditional appointment in the Competitive Service.
Opened Wednesday 1/11/2017
Closes Monday 1/23/2017
Salary Range $94,796.00 to $123,234.00 / Per Year
Series & GradeGS-2210-13/13
Promotion Potential 13
Supervisory Status No
Who May Apply Applications will be accepted from all United States Citizens and Nationals.
Control Number 462156500
Job Announcement Number CIO-2017-0107
About the Agency
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
- A probationary period may be required
This position is also being announced under the USPTO’s Merit Promotion Program, the Job Announcement Number is CIO-2017-0108. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the Merit Promotion Program.
The Patent Systems Division (PSD) implements technical business solutions for the Patents Business Unit. This division is responsible for the communications, collaboration, project management, basic technology practices/development/processes, resource management, and system/business analysis necessary to support buildable and testable requirements for delivering professional information technology services and solutions to the Patents Business Unit. The Division is divided into two branches that specialize in the Patents systems that support: Patent processing and infrastructure; and Patent intake and search. The Trademark Systems Division (TSD) implements technical business solutions for the Trademark Business Unit. This position serves as a Systems Development Lead (SDL) in PSD, TSD, or CSD.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that do not fall under competitive examining procedures; however, they may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
- Serves as a technical lead and manages multiple low to medium cost, low to medium impact and/or low to medium complexity automated information systems (AISs) or one or more high complexity AISs where the work primarily involves enhancements.
- Works with internal partners, such as project team members and team leads, Division Directors, Branch Chief, and external partners, such as Business Users, other supporting groups and contractors, to complete projects. Independently plans, implements, reports on and evaluates projects and tasks.
- Provides technical input to statements of work, task orders, and other acquisition related documents. Uses current Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) procedures to monitor and maintain the system development through production delivery. Prepares appropriate artifact templates, Project Resource Estimation Worksheets (PREWs), status reports, etc.
- Holds discussions with stakeholders to ensure that work activities conform to business requirements and industry standards.
- Analyzes software and/or hardware problems and provides solutions. Solves a wide range of operational and support problems to meet customer requirements. Draws upon multiple IT specialties in order to accomplish complex tasks.
- Provides consultation and recommendations to organizational components of USPTO in the establishment of new or improved information systems and/or applications software. Advises managers and customers on software and/or hardware needs, on new technology, and recommends modifications to current software and/or hardware.
- As technical lead, applies technical and analytical skills to develop and support the best technical solutions to create plans for task order accomplishment.
- Develops comprehensive and independent cost estimates for new or modified systems and ensures the integration of all systems components; e.g., procedures, databases, policies, software, and hardware.
- Participates in systems production problems analysis, troubleshooting, and issue resolutions. Responsible for assembling the solution teams to resolve production problems, resolve issues, troubleshoot, and perform systems analysis, resulting in the restoring of production systems to a normal state or production readiness state.
- Ensures the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the systems analysis process.
- Participates as Task Order Manager for task orders when assigned. Under supervisory review, works with the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) to develop comprehensive and accurate statements of work; estimate development cost accurately; negotiate on costs and timelines; review quality of work delivered; and identify and resolve contractor and vendor performance. Reports and documents contractor and vendor performance issues and/or potential problems immediately to supervisory chain.
- Participates in special projects and may serve as a project leader.
How to Apply