This position is being re-advertised; if you previously applied under DE-18-SF-OWCP-017 do not apply on this announcement. If you want to update your information you must do so before the closing date of this announcement.
Learn more about this agency
DOL seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
This position is located in the Department of Labor, Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP), Division of Federal Employment Compensation (DFEC), San Francisco, CA. The office is responsible for administrating the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) and related laws within the geographic boundaries of a designated compensation for job-related injuries and deaths sustained by Federal employees and others eligible for benefits of the FECA and related acts.
This position is at its full performance level.
This position is inside the bargaining unit.
Additional selections from this announcement may be made if additonal vacancies become available.
- Incumbent provides telephone contact service work, administrative, technical, fiscal and workers’ compensation assistance to support the claims units and District Director. Serves as workers’ compensation assistant providing both administrative and claims adjudication support.
- Incumbent is responsible for providing a variety of claims management and administrative services essential to support
the office’s mission and its staff. Answers telephone calls, greets, identifies, and assists office visitors with inquiries regarding claims for injury compensation benefits filed under the FECA and related statues.
- Uses a variety of automated query techniques and reviews computer produced documents and reports to respond to inquiries pertaining to existing claims.
- Determine needs and eligibility for Health Benefits and Optional Life Insurance changes for claimants receiving workers’ compensation benefits. Determine periods of such insurance and amount of deductions or additions.
- Tracks enrollment requests and prepares notice of change in health benefits enrollment or enrollment status to carriers, prepares letters requesting health benefits enrollments. Conduct open season enrollments.
- Serve as the Designated Third Party Contact. Where there is potential third party liability in a claim, releases required letters to parties advising them of actions.
- Develops and adjudicates selected or less difficult traumatic and non-traumatic new injury (non-contested) claims and claims for which initial development has been done, but the claim needs adjudication.
- Perform as an auditor for computation of death and disability benefits requiring complex multiple calculations involving retroactive adjustments or third-party amortizations.
- Processes routine claims for compensation, including leave-buy-back and schedule award claims. On selected claims, reviews surgery requests and determines if there is sufficient evidence to refer the case to the Medical Advisor or approve surgery.
- Reviews disability roll cases and death roll cases for receipt of CA-1032 forms or CA-12 forms.
- Assists with conducting periodic physical property inventories and maintains property inventory records.
- Prepare cases for referral to the District Medical Advisor to obtain necessary information for impairment ratings.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
U.S. Citizens; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Prog and Career Transition Assistance Prog eligibles in the local commuting area.
Also being advertised as job announcement #MS-18-SF-OWCP-019 for status applicants, Veterans Employment Opportunity Act applicants. To be considered for each, apply to BOTH jobs.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.