Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
06/18/2019 to 12/31/2019
Pay scale & grade
GS 9 - 12
$73,822 to $124,083 per year
Multiple Appointment Types
Few vacancies in the following locations:
El Reno, OK
El Reno, OK
El Reno, OK
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Continuous Open Announcement (COA) for Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Practitioner) allows acceptance of applications throughout the year with eligible applicants being placed on the COA register and referred for consideration when vacancies occur. Your application will expire after 3 months. Thereafter, you must reapply in order to be considered.
Learn more about this agency
This position serves as a Nurse Practitioner in one of the Indian Health Service Clinics or Hospitals throughout Oklahoma and Kansas. This position reports to the Clinical Director of the facility. The primary function of these positions is to provide comprehensive medical care. There may not be immediate vacancies at all locations. Interested applicants can also check with the local Administrative Office concerning immediate employment needs.
- Provides direct primary, preventative and therapeutic nursing care appropriate to the age of patients served.
- Orders and/or performs screening and diagnostic tests and procedures such as lab studies, x-rays, electrocardiograms, audiograms and pulmonary function tests.
- Formulates and implements plans of care which may involve various treatment modalities, and prescription of medications.
- Performs minor surgical and invasive procedures such as suture of lacerations not involving nerves or tendons, incisions and drainage of abscesses.
- Provides direct physical and psychological care in emergencies.
Conditions Of Employment
Selectee may be subject to a probationary period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Background Investigation: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Alternative Work Schedule: May be required to work rotating shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays to provide continuity of patient care.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 12/31/2019
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Degree and License Waiting Period for Impending Graduates:The Hiring Manager/Selecting Official may elect to utilize an available flexibility wherein applicants who are currently enrolled and expected to complete the required education and obtain the required licensure within 9 months of applying, may be deemed tentatively qualified.Applicants who have not completed their education requirements (but who are within the established timeframe for qualifying) must submit:
- Documentation from the educational institution's registrar, dean or other appropriate official that attests to the applicable timeframe for completion of the professional program/coursework AND
- A copy of the most recent unofficial transcript.
- Education: A graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited professional nursing educational program in the area of expertise or specialty indicated by the position. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. Areas of specialties for positions include, but are not limited to, Acute Care, Anesthesia, Community Health, Family, Geriatric, Home Health, Midwifery, Neonatal, Oncology, Pediatric, Psychiatric, Allergy and Immunology, Women's Health, Cardiovascular, Dermatology, Occupational Health, Orthopedic, Respiratory, or other specialties identified for the position.
- Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
- Licensure: For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination. In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.Acceptable verification of licensure includes a print out from a State Board of Nursing website (or other applicable license verification website) that reflects your licensure status.)
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
GS-9: In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Examples Include: providing direct and comprehensive primary, preventative and therapeutic medical and nursing care to patients related to the specialty for which you are applying.
Completed a master's degree in professional nursing.
GS-11: In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Examples Include: serving as a Nurse Practitioner providing direct and comprehensive primary, preventative and therapeutic medical and nursing care to patients related to the specialty for which you are applying.
Completed a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field.
GS-12: In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Examples Include: providing direct and comprehensive primary, preventative and therapeutic medical and nursing care for patients related to the specialty for which you are applying as well as counseling and/or coordinating services and participating with other disciplines in reviewing the program.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 1 year service agreement will be required.
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps - https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loansscholarships/nursecorps
This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Appointment may be Permanent, Temporary, Excepted Time-Limited, or Term with tour of duty of Full-Time, Part-Time or Intermittent. The Agency has the option of extending Time-Limited and Term appointments for up to a maximum of four years. Temporary positions not to exceed 12 months or less are subject to termination at any time. The Agency has the option of extending Temporary position appointments for up to a maximum of two years.
~~~IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free~~~
How You Will Be Evaluated
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements.
Your resume and any documents submitted will be retained for three months and may be used at any time during this period. After 3 months, you must reapply to this announcement in order to be considered.
Click here to view vacancy questions: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10517972. All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 12/31/2019, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- APN Certification - You must provide documentation that you are certified as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) from the appropriate certifying body. Applications will be considered incomplete without proof.
- RN Licensure - Must submit a copy of your current, valid, active, unrestricted license from a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia. License must show expiration date. Acceptable verification of licensure includes a print out from a State Board of Nursing website (or other applicable license verification website) that reflects your licensure status.)
- Transcripts - Must be provided if substituting education for experience and/or if education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans preference the rules regarding Veterans preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf.
The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 5 days after the JOA open date.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you check the acknowledgement checkbox then click the Submit Application button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, in Applications tab, click the position title you applied to for the status.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Michelle Parkhill, Michelle.Parkhill@ihs.gov, and/or (405) 951-3804.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: http://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=search&option=faq
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
~ ~ ~ Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer ~ ~ ~
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance