Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
07/01/2020 to 12/31/2020
Pay scale & grade
$91,231 to $159,217 per year
Multiple Appointment Types
Many vacancies in the following locations:
Fort Richardson, AK
Fort Wainwright, AK
Fort Rucker, AL
Redstone Arsenal, AL
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Irwin, CA
Fort Carson, CO
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Gordon, GA
Fort Stewart, GA
Fort Shafter, HI
Schofield Barracks, HI
Tripler Army Medical Center, HI
Fort Leavenworth, KS
Fort Riley, KS
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Knox, KY
Fort Polk, LA
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Fort Detrick, MD
Fort Meade, MD
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Fort Bragg, NC
White Sands Missile Range, NM
Fort Drum, NY
West Point, NY
Fort Sill, OK
Carlisle Barracks, PA
Fort Jackson, SC
Fort Campbell, TN
El Paso, TX
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Hood, TX
Fort Sam Houston, TX
Fort Belvoir, VA
Fort Eustis, VA
Fort Lee, VA
Fort Myer, VA
Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD Workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
Learn more about this agency
About the Position:
This is an open continuous announcement. Multiple vacancies exist and may be filled from this announcement at any of the locations listed. We accept applications on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available.
- Provide advanced comprehensive psychiatric nursing care for a variety of behavioral health patients.
- Perform intake procedures for psychiatric patients.
- Collaborate with the patient's total treatment team in order to formulate a total treatment plan.
- Perform psychiatric patient observations in order to identify any significant behavior and reaction patterns.
- Prescribe medications to psychiatric patients seeking behavioral health services.
Occasional travel - Business Travel may be required.
Conditions Of Employment
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- Permanent positions: Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation may be required
- This position may have a specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- Immunization screening may be required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- A pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- Position may be designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- Position may require employee to wear a uniform and/or protective clothing.
- Moderate to heavy lifting may be required.
- Work schedule may require shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends and holiday).
- Term positions: One year trial period may be required.
- This may be an obligated position.
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document
Basic Requirement for Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Practitioner-Clinical/Psychiatric):
Degree: A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Positions: A graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner educational program.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Licensure: Applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination and possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Additional License Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: Applicants for Advanced Practice Nurse positions must be licensed or registered by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States as a Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience GS-13: At least one full year of professional nursing experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-12).
Professional Nursing Experience is defined as: diagnosing psychiatric illnesses, prescribing medications and performing psychiatric evaluations.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone - no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
See Qualifications section for education requirements
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 - Medical position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction/ for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Positions filled from this vacancy may have been scheduled to transfer to the Defense Health Agency (DHA) no later than 30 Sept 2021 in accordance with the provisions of Section 702 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, Public Law 114-328. The Act directed the DHA to take responsibility for the administration (i.e., authority, direction, and control) of military treatment facilities beginning 1 Oct 18. Employees will become DoD employees upon to transfer to the DHA.
- Permanent, term, part-time, intermittent or temporary positions may be filled from this solicitation. Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is temporary, full-time, part-time, or intermittent.
- Intermittent Positions: This position does not provide guaranteed work hours each week, and work will be assigned on an intermittent "as needed basis." This position will NOT lead to a full-time position.
- Intermittent employees are NOT eligible for benefits (Health and Life Insurance) (Annual and Sick Leave).
- Temporary Positions: A temporary position is time limited and may be extended in one year increments to a maximum of three years and may be terminated at any time during the duration of the appointment.
- Term positions: A term position is time-limited and may be extended to a maximum of eight years.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this vacancy.
- For positions located in Hawaii and Alaska, statutory return rights for current DoD employees are applicable in many circumstances.
- Federal employees in Hawaii are currently entitled to receive a 10.28% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- Federal employees in Alaska are currently entitled to receive a 2.86% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
- Salary negotiation may be available for those candidates who are new to Federal service.
- Student Loan repayment may be authorized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement.
If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- Transcript: This position has an individual occupational requirement for education. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you may be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses.
- License/Certification: This position has a license/certification requirement, you MUST submit a copy of your current, active, valid, unrestricted license/certification. See: Transcripts and Licenses.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on12/31/2020 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10839368).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking (as applicable) for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance