Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
03/01/2020 to 02/28/2021
Pay scale & grade
$64,490 to $83,840 per year
This is the base salary and does not include the additional locality pay.
Many vacancies in the following locations:
Elmendorf AFB, AK
Gunter AFB, AL
Maxwell AFB, AL
Little Rock AFB, AR
Davis Monthan AFB, AZ
Luke AFB, AZ
Beale AFB, CA
Edwards AFB, CA
March AFB, CA
Travis AFB, CA
Vandenberg AFB, CA
Air Force Academy, CO
Buckley AFB, CO
Peterson AFB, CO
Schriever AFB, CO
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, DC
Dover AFB, DE
Eglin AFB, FL
Homestead AFB, FL
Hurlburt Field, FL
MacDill AFB, FL
Patrick AFB, FL
Tyndall AFB, FL
Dobbins AFB, GA
Moody AFB, GA
Robins AFB, GA
Andersen Air Base, GU
Hickam AFB, HI
Scott AFB, IL
Grissom AFB, IN
McConnell AFB, KS
Barksdale AFB, LA
Westover Air Reserve Base, MA
Andrews AFB, MD
Whiteman AFB, MO
Columbus AFB, MS
Keesler AFB, MS
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
Offutt AFB, NE
McGuire AFB, NJ
Creech AFB, NV
Nellis AFB, NV
Niagara County, NY
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
Altus AFB, OK
Fort Sill, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Tinker AFB, OK
Vance AFB, OK
Greater Pittsburgh Airport, PA
Charleston AFB, SC
Shaw AFB, SC
Dyess AFB, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Lackland AFB, TX
Randolph AFB, TX
Sheppard AFB, TX
Hill AFB, UT
Langley AFB, VA
Pentagon, Arlington, VA
McChord AFB, WA
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Applicants must be United States Citizens and be eligible and willing to join the USAF Reserve. For questions, concerning military eligibility please contact the Air Force Reserve Qualification Center at 1800-257-1212.
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.
Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as an Air Reserve Technician (ART) Airplane or Helicopter Pilot, providing ground and airborne flight to assigned Reservists in unit aircraft. Incumbent of this position will perform the following duties:
- Execute the duties and responsibilities of an aircraft commander.
- Represent the unit by participating in discussions, meetings or serve on panels or committees.
- Perform other duties related to flying and accomplishment of the unit operational and training mission.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Incentives and Special Pay Rates may or may not be offered. Travel and Relocation may be paid.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Preferred Military AFSC and Grade: 11XX
- Aircrew and management duties may include stress (both mental and physical), exposures to extreme hot and cold temperatures, gravity forces of three to seven depending on aircraft to which assigned
- Required to meet and maintain Air Force Reserve requirements. Incumbent's regular assignments are primarily ART duties: however, the incumbent may be assigned some non-ART duties, generally not to exceed 30 percent of total responsibilities
- Position may require a background security investigation to determine suitability for employment and/or a security clearance
- Typical risks or discomforts involved in flying any aircraft through combat maneuvers, night aerial refueling, low level flying and other tactics, and short notification
- Must be a rated pilot aircrew member on flying status in unit to which assigned. Must participate in regular and frequent flights as required by the commander
- Periodically, as prescribed by regulations, must take and pass standardization/evaluation examinations which consist of both written tests and actual flight performance to demonstrate flight knowledge and abilities required of the position
- Must pass physical examination and meet annual flying requirements
- Some positions under this announcement may be covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968
- An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position
- If you are selected for an ART Officer position, you will be required to sign a mobility agreement prior to appointment
- Incumbent is subject to the normal pressures, deadlines, and other conditions inherent in this position and others found in the aircrew occupation. May be required to work an uncommon tour of duty with brief advance notice
- Some positions covered by this announcement may be designated as drug testing positions where the incumbent may be subject to random drug testing
- Some positions under this announcement may be controlled positions covered by the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP)
- Some positions covered by this announcement may be obligated
- Some positions covered by this announcement is subject to the provisions of DoD Priority Placement Program (PPP)
- Those individuals who previously applied under Announcement# SR-APHP-12-13, must applied under this announcement in order to be considered for the Airplane Pilot/Helicopter Pilot position.
Basic Requirement GS-2181:
Certificates and Ratings: To qualify, applicants must possess an Undergraduate Pilot Trainee Graduate Certificate or equivalent AND an Aviation Service Aeronautical Order. (NOTE: You must submit your certifications/order at the time of your application in order to be verify qualifications).
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements, applicants must meet the following flight hours:
Addition Requirements GS-2181:
GS-12: A minimum of 750 total Flight Time in Mission Design Series (MDS). (You must submit a copy of official orders, forms, and/or logbooks time of your application in order to be verify Flight hours.)
FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING.
NOTE: Flying hours logged as student pilot and simulator are creditable. Flying hours in fighter/training aircraft will be given two-for-one credit by the examining office (Student hours will not be doubled).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of and skill in the application of rated aviator expertise as a pilot.
2. Knowledge of and ability to formulate plans and courses pertaining to flying operations and unit flying training activities.
3. Knowledge of the capabilities, limitations, and techniques for employment of assigned aircraft.
4. Knowledge of flying operations and the unit mission.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Individuals on active duty may apply 120 days before separation date and should indicate in their application their military separation date. Reservists who are mobilized may submit a copy of their mobilization orders or a statement in their application stating they are available within 120 days.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Spouses of active duty military members of the Armed Forces may receive preference in hiring under this announcement if they are among the best qualified referred and are within reach of selection. Please clearly identify in your application that you are a military spouse preference applicant.
All Federal Employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
Please note if duplicate/multiple application materials are submitted, we will consider the most recent submission as the one of record. If you do not meet the screen out questions, you will not receive any further consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
You will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience meets the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position and rated as shown below. Additional points are not added for veterans' preference; however, preference is still applied. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans within the same quality category. Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire. You will receive a rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The rating is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of this position. If after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position. Highly Qualified- Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position. Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required:
1. Resume - Work experience sections must show inclusive dates (month/year) and number of hours worked per week. If in a Reserve component, you should also identify any man-days or active duty days (total number of days) within the corresponding work experience block, if applicable. Additional information on what your resume must contain can be found on the following link: http://www.afrc.af.mil/Portals/87/documents/jobs/FEDERAL-JOB-INFORMATION-MARCH-2018.pdf.
2. Occupational Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable - To successfully claim veterans' preference, your resume/supplemental data must clearly show your entitlement. If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, please see the information below:
COPY OF DD 214, CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OR DISCHARGE FROM ACTIVE DUTY PROVIDED MUST IDENTIFY TYPE OF SEPARATION, CHARACTER OF SERVICE AND NARRATIVE REASON FOR SEPARATION.
Claims for 5-Point Veterans' Preference. Submit official documentation such as (1) a DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty - Member 4 copy (2) (2) Virtual MPF awards and decoration printout and Statement of Service Letter/DD-214; or (3) Statement of Service Letter or other form of certification signed by a Military Personnelist or other authorizing official (Commander of your unit or higher headquarters) who certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of Discharge and Character of Service (for members in a Reserve component, the letter must clearly identify 180 consecutive days of active duty, not for training).
If selected, you will be required to submit a copy of your DD 214 prior to entering on duty.
Claims for 10-Point Veterans' Preference. Submit the following documents: (1) Standard Form 15, pages 1&2 (Revised Oct 13 or later; previous editions are unusable); (2) a letter from the Veterans Administration, dated 1991 or later identifying percentage of disability. The Employment Letter is the preferred supporting documentation which must be submitted with the SF 15. The Employment Letter can be requested through the Veterans Administration by calling 1-800-827-1000; and (3) a DD 214 Member 4 copy. If sufficient information is not provided, tentative preference may be granted based on 5- Point Veterans' Preference criteria as stated above.
For Additional details on veteran's preference, please refer to the OPM VetGuide at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
The above mentioned forms may be obtained from the Air Force Reserve website at http://www.afrc.af.mil/AboutUs/JobOpportunities.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 02/28/2021.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10734218
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Application Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application
. The Vacancy ID is 10734218.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here
. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Applications will be processed for rating after the close date of this announcement. Processing time for applications is several weeks from the close date of this announcement. Applicants will receive a Notice of Results (NOR) via email approximately 2 days after the announcement closes. The rating on this NOR will be based strictly on your answers to the questionnaire. You will receive another NOR via email once your application is rated by a Human Resources Specialist which may reflect a different rating from the initial notice. Qualified candidates may be referred to the selecting official for further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance