Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
09/16/2020 to 09/25/2020
Pay scale & grade
NF 2 - 3
$18,992 to $26,588 per year
Few vacancies in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
US Citizens and Eligible Non US Citizens in local commuting area.
Click on the "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT information.
Learn more about this agency
Note to applicants: Please include name and contact information for two (2) professional AND two (2) personal references in your resume and/or DA Form 3433 application when applying.
This position is located at the Camp Humphreys Veterinary Treatment Facility.
- May assist veterinarian to prepare for and during surgical procedures, to include preparing surgery packs, scalpel blades, and suture material, monitoring a patient using an anesthetic machine.
- May serve as scrubbed surgical assistant.
- Continuously informs medical staff of the changes in general condition of patient during surgical procedures.
- Prepares and administers vaccinations, oral and topical medications to patient as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Prepares and dispenses prescription medication according to veterinarian instructions.
- Applies knowledge of common topics to assist clients in solving common husbandry problems.
- Applies knowledge of preventive care, disease prevention, lifestyle risks, and veterinary care to provide individualized wellness counseling to clients.
- Assist the facility in obtaining local credentialing for surgical, anesthetic, dental, and diagnostic procedures as required by the patient load and manning of the clinic.
- May provide training to lower level staff.
Conditions Of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Satisfactorily complete a physical examination (to include all mandated immunizations to work in a veterinary environment) prior to entrance on duty.
- Must not have an aversion to animals, blood, bodily fluids, animal tissues, strong odors, needles, or sharp instruments.
- Physical Requirements (applicable to all levels): Ability to lift animals and supplies up to 40 pounds, and on occasion greater than 40 pounds with the help of others. Long periods of standing, restraining, kneeling, and reaching, etc.
Animal Health Assistant (Developmental), NF-02:
Work experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the above duties which could have been gained at a pet store, farm work, animal shelter etc. Basic requirements include knowledge of approved restraint techniques of animals in accordance with the guidelines of the AVMA - American Veterinary Medical Association or equivalent (e.g. VMSB - Veterinary Medical Standardization Board etc.); and knowledge of proper vaccines and syringe handling.
Best Qualified: Candidates that possess demonstrated experience including proficiency in basic medical terminology; application of appropriate restraint techniques to perform a variety of routine medical and diagnostic procedures (to include proper radiological techniques); proficiency in recording medical history and treatment in ccSOAP (Chief Complaint Subjective Objective Assessment Plan); explains product information and/or treatment plan to clients as directed by the Veterinarian.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES/CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE OUTLINED IN PD# 20210
for NF-02 Animal Health Assistant
Animal Health Assistant (Full Performance), NF-03:
A minimum of six (6) months demonstrated experience directly related to the duties required in the position that must have been gained through practical application in a Veterinary Medical setting and which demonstrates the knowledge, clinical skills, and abilities essential to perform successfully in accordance with the guidelines of the AVMA - American Veterinary Medical Association or equivalent (e.g. VMSB - Veterinary Medical Standardization Board etc.). Demonstrated experience include: proficiency in basic medical terminology; utilizes correct sterile techniques; apply appropriate restraint techniques to perform a variety of routine medical and diagnostic procedures (to include proper radiological techniques); proficiency in recording medical history and treatment in ccSOAP (Chief Complaint Subjective Objective Assessment Plan); explains product information and/or treatment plan to clients as directed by the Veterinarian; determine preventive wellness plan to include required medical treatments and vaccinations requirements based on patient medical history; utilize in-house laboratory equipment to perform diagnostics tests; conduct routine maintenance on in-house laboratory equipment; completes lab request form for reference laboratories; prepares samples for shipment to outside laboratories.
Best Qualified: Possess or have the ability to reactivate/obtain a registration, license, or certification as a veterinary assistant or higher through an accredited program (e.g. as identified on the www.NAVTA.net website Possess basic supply management experience which includes: ordering supplies, maintaining sufficient stock levels, completing monthly inventory counts and documenting expiration dates of in stock medications and vaccines.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES/CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT ARE OUTLINED IN PD# 20209
for NF-03 Animal Health Assistant
The information provided on your resume should be clear and specific. You will be rated based solely off of the information provided within your resume. Assumptions will not be made regarding your experience and the duties performed.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Salary is pro-rated based on a 40 hour work week and will be determined based on grade level qualified.
Hourly salary is:
NF02: $9.10 - $10.10ph.
NF03: $34,501pa (11.74ph) - $26,588pa (12.74ph)
Work schedule to be determined after hire.
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 4:00pm EST (Monday -Thursday) or 3:00pm EST (Friday) on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) cost is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Employment Overseas provides a lot of additional benefits & entitlements, for information click here.
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program, for information click here.
- Logistical support (i.e. ID card/Command sponsorship) is not provided for this employment opportunity.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (Click here to view kit or copy this URL: https://acpol2.army.mil/chra_dodea/NAF_applicant_info_kit.pdf).
- NOTE TO APPLICANT: Below defines theemployment category for this position:
- Flexible/Intermittent (00 guaranteed hours per week however may be scheduled to work between 0-40 hours per week based on mission needs).
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies: Minimum Qualifications, Conditions of Employment, Physical Requirements, Highly Preferred Criteria, and Integrity Certification.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF - Off Duty Military (US Citizen) in Korea
- NAF Preference - Family Member Preference (OCONUS ONLY)
- NAF Preference - Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference - Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Parent of a Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow(er) of a Veteran (OAV)
Qualified Preference-eligible candidates (e.g. Military Spouse Preference, Involuntarily Separated Military Preference) meeting the highly preferred criteria will be referred to management first.
If an additional list is required, Non-Preference Eligible Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and meeting the highly preferred criteria will be referred to management.
Lastly, if no selection was made off of the previous lists, management may make selections for candidates meeting the minimum qualifications only.
NOTE: Candidates meeting the full performance level (in line with above ranking/rating criteria) will be referred to the Selecting Official first. Based on available candidate pool, qualified candidates meeting the NF-02 criteria will be referred (due to lack of full performance eligible candidates) thereafter, then candidates meeting the NF-01 criteria as appropriate.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) will accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- DA Form 3433
- DA Form 3434 or equivalent
- Marriage Certificate (Military Spouse)
- TA Stamp Card
- PCS Orders
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
How to Apply
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Identification Number (VIN). Announcement closes at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date listed on this announcement.
- Manually: Please refer to the "Additional Information" section of this announcement for instructions.
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance