Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
09/04/2019 to 03/04/2020
Pay scale & grade
$74,596 to $108,442 per year
1 vacancy in the following locations:
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
All U.S. Citizens
The incumbent for this position performs biological science work or support work in various scientific and public health areas associated with numerous biological agents.
Learn more about this agency
As a Biologist, you will:
- Identify methods and procedures to collect data, and conducts experiments and studies, making adjustments in methods and procedures as appropriate during the course of the studies or experiments.
- Prepare reports on scientific investigations, studies and projects.
- Prepare written and oral reports to a variety of individuals and groups in both informal and formal settings.
- Prepare charts, graphs, manuscripts, spreadsheets, etc. to report on study results and note any inconsistencies or area where the data appears inconclusive.
- Prepare results for publication in a variety of journals, monographs, etc.
- Ensure that incoming specimens are processed and triaged maintaining "chain-of-custody."
- Perform various techniques to rapidly identify and characterize biological and/or other agents that cause a number of diseases.
- Carry out guidelines and regulations related to proper handling and storage of various biological materials.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses: May be authorized
- Bargaining Unit Position (Cincinnati, Morgantown, Pittsburgh, Spokane): Yes
- Bargaining Unit Position (Anchorage, Atlanta, Denver, Washington, DC): No
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: May be authorized
- Annual Leave for non-federal service: May be authorized
Research position: No
- Supervisory position: No
- This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants for Biologist positions and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. The first cut-off date for you to be referred will be after September 23, 2019 . Thereafter, additional referral lists will be generated throughout the open period as vacancies occur. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
Applicants must have a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. OR a combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include performing specified portions of scientific work involving studies of the functions, environmental response, biological activities, and/or processes of humans and animals, and their component parts.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
This position is being filled through Direct Hire Authority for this occupation and is open to all US Citizens.
Vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the selecting official for consideration. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/direct-hire-authority/
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Biological Science
- Customer Service
- Laboratory/Field Management
- Laboratory/Field/Modeling/Surveillance Practices
- Networking and Partnership Development (1)
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Public Health Knowledge
- Research (2)
- Results Driven
- Technical Training and Advising
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- Transcripts (required)*
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter, if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal).
*Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on03/04/2020 of this announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance