About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Emergency Room Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. Position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire Authority. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-GP-1946428-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Assessment- Assess patient care needs on the unit; performs head-to-toe assessment on all patients and reassessments per policy. This includes pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patient(s) and the general patient population; consults with the unit supervisor as necessary.
- Planning- Plans for patient care utilizing the nursing process and in accordance with unit patient care standards. Assists in the review and revision of nursing policies and procedures as directed by unit supervisor.
- Implementation- Uses triage process to ensure timely and appropriate care to patients. Accurately assigns triage categories. Initiates treatments, medications, emergency and resuscitative measures based on appropriate utilization of standing orders and unit protocols.
- Evaluation- Evaluates outcomes, reassess and revises the plan of care as delineated in unit nursing standards. Evaluates professional growth objectives; revises as needed.
- Ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms and to react promptly in emergency situations. Ability to communicate and interact with all members of the multidisciplinary health care team.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.