Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
These positions perform a variety of responsible nursing care procedures requiring professional knowledge and the ability to work independently in the department. Reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse (Maternal and Child Health).
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under DIRECT HIRE procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-NN-1891162-DH; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
The Clinical Nurse performs a variety of responsible nursing care procedures requiring professional knowledge and consideration of specific patient conditions and treatments. Ability to work independently in completing assignments in the area of the Maternal and Child Health Branch.
- Develops individualized care plans or participates in patient care planning involving the assessment and evaluation of patient needs, a determination of the nursing procedures and practices to be included.
- Interviews patients and family members; consults with attending physicians.
- Reviews and interprets findings to distinguish between normal and abnormal conditions.
- Carries out treatment and emergency or other procedures required.
- As team leader, provides guidance, direction, and training to ancillary nursing and other personnel.
Provides counseling and teaching to patients and families on preventive, curative, and rehabilitation measures regarding health care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.