Learn more about this agency
You will serve as a Computer Engineer designing, developing, installing, testing, maintaining, evaluating data handling/transfer/control and computing systems for aerospace, aeronautical, space science and/or earth science vehicles, spacecraft or instruments, their support equipment or experiment systems (involving the hardware, software and security) and data systems for acquiring, reducing, and computing data to meet end-to-end data systems’ needs.
This position is assigned to Glenn Research Center; Facilities, Test and Manufacturing Directorate; Testing Division, Data Systems Branch, located in Cleveland, OH.
The Data Systems Branch provides critical data acquisition capabilities in over 50 aero and space facilities and develops and maintains the hardware, software and application-specific code for steady state systems, as well as, dynamic data systems. In addition, the Branch provides the network infrastructure within the facilities, IT Security, and the integration of customer acquisition and analysis systems into the test environment.
This is a bargaining unit position (i.e. covered under labor/management agreement).
As identical vacancies are identified, additional selections may be made from this announcement.
To receive consideration, you must submit a resume and answer NASA-specific questions. The NASA questions appear after you submit your resume and are transferred to the NASA web site. If you successfully apply, USAJOBS will show your application status as 'Received'. If your status is 'Application Status Not Available', you have not successfully applied. Do not rely on a USAJOBS email to confirm successful application. Only an email from NASA confirms a successful application.
* Implements Information Technology (IT) initiatives, projects, and work assigned to project teams; reviews and refines final products. Evaluates, analyzes, and recommends needs for equipment and software. Performs acquisition related to the delivery of IT Security and Risk Management Services. Implements, updates and reviews system security plans or other system or information documentation.
* Designs, develops, and implements a wide range of standard hardware and software to support large-scale LAN/WAN systems.
* Acts as a technical specialist on the procedures, methods, and techniques used for checkout, acceptance testing, and preparation of software, systems, or hardware.
* Reviews and analyzes existing systems design to initiate redesign or modifications, to improve operational effectiveness and or reparability of hardware.
* Provides technical expertise to design, implement, and support operating systems through procurement and installation of appropriate systems software. Assists with implementing a major operating systems project.
* Designs major parts of unique or leading-edge technology, hardware, equipment, or systems to meet specific mission requirements. Serves as a consultant in the field of hardware system design.
* Supports the design, development and testing, including upgrades, parts reliability requirements, failure analysis/corrective action investigations, special laboratory tests, performance evaluations, and design audits of in-house and contracted projects.
* Serves as a skilled computer scientist in the design, development, test, checkout, and readiness of systems or equipment that involve standard concepts and varied requirement problems.