You will serve as an Environmental Protection Specialist responsible for the planning and implementation of the environmental programs, and minimizing environmental liability for the NASA Glenn Research Center.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC), Facilities, Test and Manufacturing Directorate, Environmental Management Office in Cleveland, Ohio.
Environmental Management Office provides overall coordination and integration of Glenn’s environmental efforts. The office is responsible for establishing environmental metrics, in compliance with federal, state and local government regulations and mandates, and in alignment with Agency sustainability policies.
This is a bargaining unit position (i.e. covered under labor/management agreement)
As identical vacancies are identified, additional selections may be made from this announcement.
Please note: that the salary for selectees will be set at the Step 1 of the GS grade and are nonnegotiable unless Highest Previous Rate rules apply.
To receive consideration, you must submit a resume and answer NASA-specific questions. The NASA questions appear after you submit your resume and are transferred to the NASA web site. If you successfully apply, USAJOBS will show your application status as 'Received'. If your status is 'Application Status Not Available', you have not successfully applied. Do not rely on a USAJOBS email to confirm successful application. Only an email from NASA confirms a successful application.
* Manages one or more environmental programs such as those under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Clean Air Act; Clean Water Act; Pollution Prevention Act; Toxic Substance Control Act; Endangered Species Act: Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act; Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); and assorted sustainability and recycling requirements.
* Develops project activity plans for each assigned program, outlines environmental policy, and identifies long and short term goals and objectives.
* Compiles information from diverse sources, including scientific and technical literature, and with supervision and assistance prepares written plans and schedules on projects. Incorporates Federal, State, and local regulatory requirements into program design, implementation, and evaluation efforts.
* Prepares or provides input for reports and follows up on findings of noncompliance and notices of violations. Coordinates issues pertaining to environmental compliance and remedial actions. Advises higher graded specialists at the Center and Agency, the supervisor, and operating officials on matters concerning environmental compliance, sustainability and pollution prevention programs.
* Assists in inspections of Center facilities and operations to ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations. Analyzes and interprets laboratory reports to determine the presence of hazardous environmental conditions and the degree of noncompliance with regulatory guidance. Obtains requested permits and maintains their currency in accordance with pertinent regulations.