The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; Join DHS.
Learn more about this agency
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us here for more information.
Every day, our Immigration Services Officers grant or deny complex and highly sensitive applications and petitions for immigration benefits and provide assistance to other federal agencies in identifying individuals who pose a threat to national security and public safety.
Please check out our recruitment video here for more information about our position.
This position of IMMIGRATION SERVICES OFFICERstarts at a salary of $36,281 GS-05, Step 01, with promotion potential to $71,467 GS-09, Step 10.
Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the FIELD OPERATIONS DIRECTORATE, OFFICE OF FIELD OPERATIONS, DISTRICT 06, located in Baltimore, MD within U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
This position IS in the bargaining unit.
This position IS NOT considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Relocation expenses are authorized if you are a USCIS employee assigned to the Refugee, Asylum and International Operations program and have been approved for rotation from an overseas assignment. Relocation expenses for USCIS employees assigned to an OCONUS location will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note: USCIS may fill two or more positions using this vacancy.
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
As a IMMIGRATION SERVICES OFFICER, you will:
- Research and interpret an extensive spectrum of sources, including immigration laws and regulations, operating instructions, legislative history, precedent decisions, state and local laws, international treaties and other legal references in order to follow the correct course of action.
- Process immigration applications and petitions using available electronic systems to verify numerous established data points.
- Provide direct and continuing assistance to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) personnel and officials of other Federal agencies in identifying individuals who pose a threat to national security and public safety.
- Interview applicants and petitioners to elicit statements in order to assess credibility to determine the applicant's eligibility for specific benefits sought.
- Answer general and case-specific immigration questions at USCIS information rooms, which are open to the public.
As an Immigration Services Officer, you may serve as the Congressional Liaison Officer. You will:
- Draft, review, revise and issue written and oral responses to congressional inquiries within prescribed time frames.
- Develop and maintain liaison with Congressional staff on a variety of immigration-related issues.
- Interpret and apply technical guidelines and provide advisory services to Congressional staff on specific cases or policy matters.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
LOCAL COMMUTING AREA: Current USCIS employees with competitive status; and RAIO (Refugee, Asylum & International Operations) employees approved for rotation may also apply.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.