This position is located in the Office of Science and Technology, Laboratory Services, Fire Research Laboratory, Engineering Section in Beltsville, Maryland.
Learn more about this agency
Serves as the Bureau's technical authority in fire science and the testing/forensic evaluation of evidence from criminal investigations.
This is an interdisciplinary position. Position may be filled by: Fire Protection Engineer, GS-0804; Materials Engineer-GS-0806; Mechanical Engineer GS-0830; or Chemical Engineer, GS-0893.
- Conducting complex testing in support of casework.
- Acts as authority employing variety of equipment and designing custom procedures to conduct tests, in addition to standard procedures.
- Maintaining and operating equipment such as oxygen consumption calorimeters, lasers, thermocouples, pressure transducers, heat flux tranducers, load cells, etc.
- Participating in crime scene processing, and coordinates and provides instruction to investigating officers on fire spread and fire dynamics at the scenes of fires and explosions.
- Interpreting and evaluating test data to form casework conclusions.
- Providing testimony to their analyses in criminal proceedings and conveys complex scientific phenomena.
- Serving as advisor to various outside interests.
Responsibilities will increase and assignments will become more complex as your training and experience progresses.
Occasional travel - Up to 5-10 times per month.