Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1962565
Please refer to the "Required Documents" section to ensure eligibility. Failure to provide the required documents, including the VA Form 10-2850c, will result in immediate disqualification.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Geriatrics and Extended Care Service provides resident care in the Patient Care Nursing Service - Community Living Center (CLC). There are multiple programs provided in a community environment. Most are available as long or short stay admissions, including: Dementia Care, Skilled Care, Restorative Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Respite Continuing Care, Hospice, Palliative Care and Rehabilitation.
As a Licensed Practical Nurse, your duties will include, but not limited to:
- Provide patient care and unit support
- Works under the supervision of the RN with minimal direction
- May serve in the role of Charge Nurse
- Performs direct nursing care to patients in keeping with standards policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Able to work effectively with all members of the healthcare team, patients, and families
- Duties require extensive periods of standing and walking. Working with patients requires bending, lifting,stooping, stretching, pulling, and other similar activities. The use of correct body mechanics is required.
- Incorporates approaches to care that promote optimal physical functioning, nutrition and hydration needs and enhances the quality of life; also incorporates environmental interventions that minimize stress
The position is assigned to Patient Care Service and may be required to work in multiple units within Geriatrics and Extended Care. The VA Medical Center is a 24 hour facility. Management has the authority to assign work and there is no guarantee of unit and/or shift assignment.
Preferred Experience: 1 - 2 years of experience working as a Licensed Practical Nurse in a Hospice or Geriatric Unit.
Work Schedule: Shift may be days, evenings or nights. Weekends, holidays, and shift rotations are required.