Senior Scientific Technical Manager (SSTM) positions are positions which exceed the NM-05 (GS-15) level. SSTMs provide a continuity of technical leadership and oversight that is needed to ensure long term stewardship of an organization's technical capabilities. Typically, applicants for SSTM positions are expected to have a graduate degree, significant research or development experience, and a national or international reputation in his/her field and are recognized throughout the applicable community as a renowned expert. SSTM positions are in the competitive service.
The selectee for this position will serve as the Cybersecurity Engineering Principal Technical Manager and Cybersecurity Engineering Division Head at the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific).
This announcement is being used to recruit qualified individuals, under the SSC STRL Direct Hire Authority, authorized by Section 1108 of the NDAA for FY 2009 for qualified candidates possessing an advanced degree to scientific and engineering positions, and Federal Register Notice (FRN), Volume 79 Number 144, dated 28 July 2014. An advanced degree is a Master's or higher degree from an accredited college or university in a field of scientific or engineering study directly related to the duties of the position to be filled.
This announcement is also being used to recruit qualified individuals under the SSC STRL Direct Hire Authority, authorized by Section 1107 of the NDAA for FY 2014 for qualified candidates who possess a Bachelors' degree to scientific and engineering positions.
The Rule of Three, Veteran's Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process.
Learn more about this agency
The successful selectee will perform the following duties:
- Furnish highly advanced technical guidance and recommendations in the domain of cybersecurity engineering to to-level administrative and technical management officials within the SSC Pacific, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR), the Department of the Navy (DON), Department of Defense (DoD) and other government agencies.
- Serve as the SSC Pacific Cybersecurity Competency Lead, developing the cybersecurity engineering workforce, leading the SSC Pacific cybesecurity Technical Authority engagements, contributing to the Naval Research & Development (R&D) Engineering Cybersecurity Integrated Product.
- Responsible for a wide range of system, interface, and capability based engineering including security engineering requirements derivation, modeling and simulation, design, integration, development of new technical solutions, technology transition, experimentation, and interoperability.
- Responsible for improved mission assurance through improved cybersecurity engineering across a broad range of systems, enclaves, and platforms including traditional information technology (IT) and applications, industrial control systems (ICS), and Navy control systems (NCS), by ensuring their availability, integrity and confidentiality.
- Collaborate with SSC Pacific leadership on the overall direction and management of the Center's engineering, fleet support, business operations and science and technology activities.
- Carry out technical supervisory responsibilities involving technical planning and oversight of work accomplished through Federal civil service employees, assigned military members, non-Federal workers, and/or others, to include Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) assignments, contractors and volunteers.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.