OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/”
About the Memphis VA Medical Center: The VAMC in Memphis, TN consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a 60-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC). It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level I Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a 53-county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Intermittent)
Decription Title: Medical Instrument Technician/FS# 000000
Location of Position: Medical Service, Memphis, TN
permanent employees of the Memphis VAMC will receive first consideration when
Introduction: The incumbent works in the Cardiology section of the VAMC utlizing problem-solving skills to optimize the evlauation and adjust the exam to ensure that it is comprehensive and accurate along with the following duties:
- Identify and record anomalies indicative of disease, injury, or other medically significant condition from ultrasound imaging and simultaneous recordings and Doppler.
- Incorporate the causes and results of a variety of symptoms and conditions into a plan of ultrasonic diagnostic examination.
- Change and develop sounding techniques to accommodate such variables as limited patient mobility, variation in physical condition or dimension of the patient, presence of prosthesis or foreign objects, and ultrasonic response of different body parts.
- Produce diagnostic quality images and Doppler frequency recordings using M-mode, two-dimensional, and Doppler ultrasound.
- Perform 2D, M-Mode, continuous and pulse wave Doppler and color flow exam.
- Perform transthoracic examinations and stress echocardiograms with and without pharmaceuticals.