Chaplains provide a range of spiritual care ministries to Veterans and their families encompassing all aspects of pastoral care, assuring that the religious, spiritual, moral and ethical issues faced by Veterans are addressed as part of the holistic care provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Learn more about this agency
Work schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. A compressed work schedule may be negotiated.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: May be required
As the NDCS you will use your expertise to:
- Provide national leadership and manages several specific initiatives relating to the provisions of spiritual/pastoral care in the health care setting
- Ensure the on-going integration of spiritual/pastoral care in the multidisciplinary spectrum of health care provided at VA medical centers and outpatient clinics nationwide
- Advise on all policies and procedures pertaining to delivery of services, assessment of services and outcome analysis relating to VHA's spiritual and pastoral services, programs and initiatives
- Collaborate with top VA officials representing various professions and programs to insure a consistent, uniform approach to spiritual/pastoral care
- Develop policies, guidelines, and professional standards for the practice of Chaplaincy in VA
- Represent VA as a liaison with Ecclesiastical Endorsers, professional organizations, clergy groups, oversight and reviewing organizations, and addresses concerns that vary from Department-wide policy issues to individual cases
- Manage the recruitment and examining of chaplain candidates via the Board of Excepted Service Examiners on a nationwide basis
- Prepare and/or coordinates agency responses to proposed legislation, audits, investigations on VA Chaplain Services
- Approve requests from religious organizations to become ecclesiastical endorsing organizations to provide applicants for VA Chaplaincy
- Manage a national training program for chaplains, which provides both essential orientation for each new chaplain, and career development training
- Develop and support research activities to advance the understanding of the role of spirituality in health care and wellness and/or which will lead to improved methods in the provision of spiritual/pastoral care in the health care setting
- Advise officials in VA facilities regarding the free expression of religion in VA facilities
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.