Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 5/19/2017
Closes Tuesday 5/30/2017
Salary Range $60,210.00 to $93,821.00 / Per Year
Series & GradeGS-0603-00/00
Supervisory Status No
Who May Apply United States Citizens
Control Number 470271500
Job Announcement Number SU-17-CLM-1961612-BU
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1961612
Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise – "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
At the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS), we strive to hire only the best! Working with and for America's Veterans is a privilege, and we pride ourselves on the quality of care we provide. In return for your commitment to quality health care for our nation's Veterans, VA offers an incomparable benefits package. Located in southeast South Dakota, Sioux Falls is a family-oriented community with no state income tax. The SFVAHCS is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care service, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in the areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and transitional care. The SFVAHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN 23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The procedures outlined in AFGE Master Agreement, Article 23, Section 8 will be followed. First consideration will be given to current Sioux Falls VAHCS employees.
Requires Filing a Financial Disclosure Report: Yes
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is currently recruiting for a Full-time, Permanent, Physician Assistant. This position will be located in the Surgery & Specialty Care Service Line. As a Physician Assistant, you are responsible for the following duties to include, but not limited to:
- Initial history and physical examinations on patients.
- Make daily rounds to observe and record patients' medical progress, update and summarize medical records, change orders when appropriate, and notify the responsible physician of significant changes in the patients' conditions. Adjust medications and therapy. Determine discharge status.
- Order routine lab tests (e.g., CBC, chemistry, UA, hormone assays, drug levels, etc.), x-rays, EKG's and comparable procedures.
- Admit patients independently in collaboration with the doctor, but may NOT reject admission.
- Order definitive therapy for patients (e.g., cardiotonics, diuretics, antibiotics, psychotropics, antihypertensives, antiarrhythmics, oxygen, I.V. fluids, food/nutrition products, prosthetics supplies, rehabilitative therapy, etc.)
- Request consultations from other services.
- Order non-prescription and prescription drugs for patients.
- Dictate history, physicals and discharge summaries cosigned by the responsible physician.
- Provide ongoing outpatient care for stable health problems.
- Perform appropriate parts of specialty medical staff outpatient examination on new patients.
- Screen outpatients to determine their need for further health care and consultation.
- First line of call for Surgical/Specialty Care.
- Diagnose and treat seriously ill multi-symptomatic patients presenting to the Emergency Room for surgical care.
- Responsible for requests for consultations and the scheduling of special tests and studies with other services.
- Determines if patients need hospital admission.
- Evaluates employees with acute problems.
- Order home care devices, equipment and supplies.
- Take throat, wound, urethra, and rectal swabs for smear and culture.
- Irrigate ears and remove ceremony.
- Stabilize sprains, applies casts.
- Conducts clinics independently when Specialty provider on leave.
- Perform wound care and debridement. First assistant surgical procedures.
- Insert needles, including angiocaths and comparable devices, to obtain blood samples or to start I.V. infusions.
- Order over the counter supplies from pharmacy including creams, lotions and dressings to treat skin ulcers and diabetes testing supplies and syringes.
- Transfer acutely ill patients to appropriate service.
- Manages their own minor surgery clinics.
- Responsible for streamlining scheduling in assigned clinics to promote access.
- Reviews all consults and refers to appropriate level of care.
Non Routine/Non-Emergency Duties:
- Inject local anesthetics.
- Perform routine incision & drainage of wounds.
- Suture lacerations.
- Order blood component therapy.
- Acute consultation for patients seen in the walk-in clinic emergency treatment room or primary care medicine clinics.
- Joint/Bursal aspiration and injection.
- Cast application.
- Primary wound evaluation and care.
- Assist in the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative care of patients.
- Teaches medical school students regarding surgical evaluation and care of patients.
- Member of medical school faculty. Provides education/training to medical students during surgical rotation. Serves as a referral source advisor for educational goals for medical students during their surgical rotation.
- Assists with PA fellowship educational activities. Maintains a close relationship with PA program directors.
- Conducts educational classes for medical and PA students, stressing application of knowledge into practice.
- Representative to Medical Executive Council and TeleHealth expansion.
Emergency Duties: Those carried out for patients in
life-threatening situations where a physician is not immediately
available. The PA initiates these
activities but makes every effort to summon a physician as soon as possible.
- Institute emergency measures and emergency treatment or
appropriate measures in situations such as cardiac arrest, shock,
hemorrhage, convulsions, and poisonings. "Emergency measures" include writing a chemical of physical
restraint order when the patient may be of harm to himself or others.
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation including electro defibrillation.
- Treatment of life-threatening traumatic injuries.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty for this position is typically Monday - Friday, Days. Rotating on-call will be required for Weekends, nights and Holidays. Additional information regarding the work schedule of this position will be discussed during the interview process.
Functional Statement: Physician Assistant
How to Apply