OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Learn more about this agency
Salem VA Medical Center, an H-1B cap exempt, tertiary referral center is currently recruiting interested Emergency Medicine practitioners to join its experienced staff of physicians and health professionals as a staff physician in the Department of Medicine at the Medical Center. In addition to our continuing commitment to quality Veteran care, Salem VA Medical Center is also a teaching hospital and research center, maintaining both an active R&D program encompassing multiple specialty practices as well as three active medical school affiliations with the University of Virginia School of Medicine, the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine.
The VA Medical Center of Salem, Virginia is located adjacent to Roanoke, both of which are nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwest Virginia. The Salem & Roanoke metropolitan area provides its residents with a reasonable cost of living, affordable housing, low taxes, some of the finest public and private schools in Virginia, and many urban amenities traditionally expected of larger areas, including art and entertainment venues, museums and galleries, symphony, ballet, and competitive youth sports for the family. In addition to the rich diversity of metropolitan experiences available to our residents, the Roanoke Valley also offers numerous opportunities for the outdoor enthusiast, including the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Appalachian Trail, Smith Mountain Lake, beautiful mountainside wineries and golf courses, and a variety of National parks and wildlife areas.
The selected candidate will be responsible for performing duties to include, but not limited to the following:
- Provides quality patient-centered care to presenting adults age 18-65 and older as assigned;
- In rare situations, stabilizes presenting patients under age 18 as required prior to transfer to an appropriate site of care;
- Facilitates the delivery of appropriate patient care in collaboration with other health professionals, medical center staff, and management;
- Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic tests necessary to complete ED evaluations;
- Stabilizes all critically ill or injured patients;
- Admits patients to hospital or discharge from ED with appropriate follow-up;
- Discusses treatment plan(s) with patients and/or family and caregivers;
- Coordinates patient care with consultants, as necessary;
- Supports and participates in medical center's academic and research missions, as appropriate; and
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Work Schedule: Varied
Financial Disclosure Report: Not applicable