Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
12/06/2019 to 03/06/2020
Pay scale & grade
$15.54 to $19.68 per hour
Intermittent - This is a Flexible Position. Work hours may involve weekend, weekdays, holidays and night duty.
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is Fort Belvoir, VA. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP) and Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration), and is located at MWR Pools. The Aquatics program at Fort Belvoir strives to meet the needs of active duty, retirees, dependents, DOD Civilians and their families. With a variety of classes, programs and services, the focus is fitness, health and safety and leisure.
Learn more about this agency
Assist with the operation of the pool, oversees the work of assigned lifeguards & monitors compliance with facility policies. Assists with scheduling of employees. Assists with the operation of the pool, its filtration system, water balance, pool chemistry and performs water tests. Under direction of the pool supervisor, employ safety rules for the protection of the guest. Responsible for life guarding guest in attendance at the assigned aquatic facility. Rescues swimmers and administers first aid as required. Responsible for assisting in the conduct of aquatic swimming and water survival training according to tC21-21. Attend aquatics and/or safety training as directed. Ensures maintaining pool and area is clean and free from any hazards. Provides information to swimmers regarding safety rules and procedures. Tactfully warns patrons who repeatedly disregard safety rules, and follow facility Standard Operating Procedures for disciplinary actions. Assist in coaching or preparing the competitive and non-competitive swimming programs as required. Issues towels and checks identification as required. Maintains daily logs and records as required.
Conditions Of Employment
Continuous exposure to sun and prolonged periods of high temperature and humidity. In case of exposure to infectious disease, incumbent is required to obtain the Hepatitis B vaccination series within a 24-hour period. Incumbent is required to follow environmental safeguards and wear personal protective equipment.
May be assigned to irregular duties or when needed for special recreational events and related requirements.
Subject to satisfactory completion of all pre-employment checks in accordance with AR 215-3, para.2. Incumbent may also required to complete a Tier 1 background investigation for a Common Access Card for physical access to federally-controlled facilities.
Must possess the following certificates:
- American Red Cross "Lifeguard" certification or nationally recognized equivalent (i.e. Ellis & Associates Lifeguard Certification).
- American Red Cross "Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional Rescuer" (CPR-Pro) certification or nationally recognized equivalent (i.e. Ellis & Associates (CPR) Certification).
When facilities use Automated External Defibrillator "AED's" and Oxygen Administration "O2 bottles" the following is required:
- American Red Cross "Automated External Defibrillator" (AED) certification or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Ellis & Associates AED certification.
- American Red Cross "Oxygen Administration" certification or nationally recognized equivalent i.e. Ellis & Associates Oxygen Administration certification.
-American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 3:30pm (EST) on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) cost is not authorized based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Please check out our Application Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (Click here to view kit or copy this URL: https://acpol2.army.mil/chra_dodea/NAF_applicant_info_kit.pdf
- Applications are valid for 90 days days after submission date. Applicants will be referred to selecting official as additional vacancies occur.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference - Family Member Preference (OCONUS ONLY)
- NAF Preference - Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference - Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
- DA Form 3433
- CPR & AED
- Water Safety Instructor Certificate
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) may be accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- DA Form 3433
- CPR & AED
- Water Safety Instructor Certificate
- PCS Orders
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Identification Number (VIN). Announcement closes at 11:59PM Eastern Time on the closing date listed on this announcement.
- Manually: Please refer to the "Additional Information" section of this announcement for instructions.
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance