Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
02/14/2020 to 12/31/2020
Pay scale & grade
$39,317 to $51,113 per year
Many vacancies in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Open to all U.S. Citizens
Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to Veterans' Preference so long as such applicants are available for appointment. Applications will be accepted by those without veterans preference BUT those applications will only be considered if there are no applicants with veterans preference available to consider.
Learn more about this agency
Please click "Learn more abut this agency" for more information about this position.
- Receive, authenticate, and vet visitors entering an installation.
- Respond to and/or contain crisis or urgent situations including accidents; man-made, biological, chemical, radiological, or natural disasters; or other incidents that could result in harm to people, property, or the environment.
- Control access to the installation/Federal property and restricted areas, identify security risks, and provide traffic management.
- Apply requirements for equipping and securing government and contractor facilities to guard against unauthorized access, identify suspicious activities, and ensure continuity of operations.
- Operate security-related equipment (both manual and automated) or devices.
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain eligibility at the Secret level using a Tier 3 background investigation.
- Incumbent must be able to obtain and sustain state certification for operating the NCIC terminals.
- Incumbent must be able to meet the conditions of the Individual Reliability Program (IRP).
- Incumbent must take and pass an initial and recurring drug test.
- Incumbent must be available to work rotating shifts, overtime, and fluctuating tours of duty to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Incumbent must undergo and pass annual exams to determine physical, emotional, and mental fitness for this position.
- Incumbent must be proficient in the use of assigned firearms/weapons, pass an initial qualification, and must qualify semi-annually thereafter in the use of firearms/weapons.
- Incumbent must successfully complete security guard training.
- Incumbent must be trained and maintain current required certifications in CPR techniques and must know first aid. May act as a first responder in a medical emergency.
- Incumbent may be required to wear chemical protection masks, gloves, and other protective equipment, and may be required to be certified in the use of aerosol irritants and baton.
- Incumbent will be required to pass an initial physical agility test (PAT) and annually thereafter. This consists of running 1.5 miles in 17.30 minutes and performing 19 push-ups in 2 minutes.
- Incumbent must be fully qualified to operate a government vehicle and must possess and maintain a valid state drivers license. Loss of license may result in removal from the position.
- Incumbent must wear the Department of Army Security Guard (DASG) uniform IAW AR 190-56 and maintain a high standard of appearance and hygiene.
- Incumbent must obtain and maintain applicable certifications in operating various electronic equipment and sensors.
- Incumbent must not have any medical condition that precludes the wearing of a chemical protective mask and over garments.
- Incumbent must be able to perform as a member of the installations overall security response capability to include carrying and deploying a riot baton, carrying a protective shield and employing non-lethal ammunition, if necessary.
- Incumbent must meet the Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968. Persons convicted of a crime of domestic violence are not eligible for this position.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is defined as one year of experience at the GS-05 level or equivalent with a federal, state, municipal, local, or private protective organization performing installation access control, using physical access control equipment, safeguarding personnel, information and critical assets, recording visitor information, and determining whether appropriate authorization for access exists.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Access Control Operations
- Incident Response
- Installation Security, Access Control, and Traffic Management
- Physical Security
- Security Equipment Operation
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. Fort this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone - no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) - 19 position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- VA Letter, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/31/2020 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10724224).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance