2 vacancies in the following location:
Learn more about this agency
At the Cincinnati VA Medical Center, our duty is to make sure Veterans receive the finest health care available within our resources. We are devoted to providing primary health care, specialized care, and mental health service to Veterans whom reside within a 50 mile radius of the Medical Center serving veterans in the states of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. For more information, please visit our web site. Cincinnati is ranked 73rd out of the 100 Best Cities in the nation, according to Livability.com. The ranking was created based on economic, healthcare, housing, civic capital, education, amenities, demographic and infrastructure scores. In the health care category alone, Cincinnati ranked #2 in the nation! For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The Cincinnati VA Medical Center is recruiting for a full-time Independent Senior Social Worker for Medical Center's Housing and Urban Development-VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program located within the Mental Health Care Line. The HUD-VASH program is a collaborative effort, supported through HUD Section 8 rental assistance vouchers and VA's provision of intensive case management services. The primary goal of HUD-VASH is to move Veterans and their families out of chronic homelessness. The primary component of the program is VA case management services, designed to improve Veteran's health and mental health, enhancing their ability to remain stable, housed and community-integrated. The incumbent is responsible for serving as one of the primary contacts with Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) in Ohio and Kentucky and providing case management-based services (directly or through referral) necessary to ensure that Veteran care is coordinated with the VA medical center, community health or mental health providers, and agencies that serve homeless populations. The incumbent communicates with HUD-VASH programs in other states to facilitate the portability of vouchers.
TOUR OF DUTY: Monday - Friday, day shift hours. Work of the incumbent takes place in a number of settings throughout the medical center. Incumbent may be required to be on-call to respond to emergency situations and frequently works off-site to coordinate and oversee the work of community agencies that provide care and treatment of homeless Veterans.
LOCATION: 909 Vine Street. Cincinnati, Ohio.
This Senior Social Worker practices as an independent clinician exercising initiative and independent judgment in day-to-day activities. The primary purpose of the work is to perform difficult and complex advisory/assistance and/or coordination functions that require interaction between many entities of the medical/scientific field and involve controversial, unconventional or novel issues. Assignments typically require modifications of standard practices, adaptations or extensions of precedent decisions and development of new approaches, methods or techniques for specific application. The work affects the management and operation of effective and efficient projects and activities, including the continuation of approved ongoing research programs, the initiation of new research programs, and/or the termination or disapproved research programs. The results of the incumbent's work are critical to the agency mission of providing high quality health care to the patient population. The incumbent works primarily with adult Veterans and demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients he/she serves. The incumbent must display a skillset at the Advanced Practice level, understanding the population-specific needs of homeless Veterans. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the Life Span, possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and provide the care needed as described in Service/Unit policies and procedures.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for data collection, administrative record keeping, and monitoring patient or clinical indicators, thresholds, and performance measurements.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains referral and screening procedures for potential HUD-VASH Veteran participants that meet national policy as well as the needs of Medical Center's mental health services and residential programs.
- Conducts and participates in outreach activities including field interviews, assessments and referrals for homeless Veterans contacted in the community, shelters, and "on the streets," as well as those who are referred by VA residential programs, medical centers or outpatient clinics. The incumbent maintains current and establishes new relationships with other community-based service providers for the homeless, and when appropriate, represents VA at community service provider meetings.
- Provides referrals to VA medical and mental health inpatient and outpatient treatment and to other VA services including VA benefits, as well as community-based social services and other non-VA entitlement programs.
- Participates in the screening and admission process for the HUD-VASH program by developing and maintaining criteria that recognizes program eligibility, prioritization for program acceptance, and requirements of the PHAs. The incumbent coordinates the screening and admission and provides primary input for program candidates.
- Develops psychosocial treatment plans, actively involving the Veteran and their family or significant others, in coordination with interdisciplinary team members, based on the psychosocial assessments, including goals for clinical treatment.
- Assists Veterans in maintaining appointments at VA medical centers and other community agencies for medical, psychiatric, substance abuse, vocational and other services consistent with Veteran's goals associated with
- Refers Veterans to appropriate VA and other government/community services-including local shelters, food banks, employment services, Veteran's benefits, and social security agencies. The incumbent assists Veterans who encounter problems obtaining services from the VA and other service delivery agencies through advocacy, linking, and/or by assisting with their problem solving/social interaction skills.
- Establishes a continuing relationship with the Veteran, evaluating progress towards goals and adjusting the treatment plan as appropriate.
The incumbent in this position reports programmatically and administratively to the Supervisor of the HUD-VASH Program, who reports to the Director of the Community Outreach Division.
Functional Statement Title/#: HUD-VASH Senior Social Worker / 000000
50% or less - Travel is required for this position. The work is primarily associated with automobile driving throughout the greater metropolitan area
How to Apply
Fair & Transparent
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.