Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
02/14/2020 to 05/15/2020
Pay scale & grade
GS 3 - 7
$26,915 to $39,149 per year
Temporary - 89
Many vacancies in the following locations:
Travis AFB, CA
Offutt AFB, NE
Altus AFB, OK
Lackland AFB, TX
Pentagon, Arlington, VA
This job is open to
Current students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
***THIS PUBLIC NOTICE COVERS ALL SUMMER HIRE STUDENT TRAINEE, GS-0899-04/05 POSITIONS FOR ALL TITLES***
Learn more about this agency
***Please go to the How To Apply section of this announcement to view instructions on how to submit your interest email to the Base Point of Contact***
- Provides assistance in planning, monitoring, and conducting special studies, projects, and initiatives.
- Receives and directs telephone calls and visitors.
- Working under the guidance of and in close association with senior personnel performs a variety of work assignments in the technical area of engineering and facility services.
- Searches technical literature, reports, and other reference material to locate information requested by senior personnel.
- Attends training sessions, briefings, meetings, tests and demonstrations for the purpose of expanding technical knowledge and learning coordinative processes required to complete project assignments.
Conditions Of Employment
- Must meet suitability requirements for Federal employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at a qualiflying accredited institution
- Must sign a Participant Agreement
- U.S. citizen or national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island)
- Must be eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws
- Males 18 years or older must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Accepted for enrollment or enrolled in an approved program
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Salary range encompass base salary and does not include locality AND Salary is based on a 40 hr work week
GS-03: Completion of 1 academic year of post-high school study
GS-04: Must have completed 2 full academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in or directly related to the field engineering.
GS-05: Must have completed 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
- Knowledge of basic occupational theory, principles, concepts and practices in the technical area of engineering.
- Skill in applying basic occupational theory, principles, concepts, and practices sufficient to perform student trainee assignments.
- Ability to follow instructions and guidance to complete assigned tasks and communicate information to others in oral or written format.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify significant factors, gather and interpret pertinent data, and apply established rules and procedures in order to recommend effective solutions.
- Ability to learn and apply basic investigative techniques to accomplish work in the subject matter field.
- Ability to gather and analyze basic facts, information and data and draw conclusions.
Other significant facts pertaining to this position are:
1. May be required to travel by military and/or civilian aircraft in the performance of official duties.
2. This position is established under the provisions of the Pathways Program.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts or Official Letter of Enrollment to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
May work part-time or full-time schedules
Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act
NOTE: U.S. citizenship is required for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with the Department of the Air Force.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume AND supporting documents) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment..
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Application Package-
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - can be a copy
- Proof of enrollment/class registration
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 05/15/2020
For more information on how to apply for Summer Hire Position please contact the Point of Contacts below.
Altus AFB: Tiffany Adams, email@example.com
Offutt AFB: Carla McCoy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Travis AFB: Josie Tolentino, email@example.com
Pentagon HAF: Robert. Gurunlian, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lackland AFB: Velia Gonzalez, email@example.com
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. School enrollment verification (transcripts)
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully.
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance