Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
01/18/2020 to 06/30/2020
Pay scale & grade
$56.50 to $113 per day
The salary amount is $56.50 per half day or $113.00 per full day.
Temporary - Length of employment will be set in accordance with the end of the school year.
many vacancies in the following locations:
Sigonella Sicily, Italy
Sigonella Sicily, Italy
Sigonella Sicily, Italy
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
U.S. Citizens in the local commuting area who are not considered Ordinarily Resident, and who are covered by the applicable SOFA agreement.
The purpose of this announcement is to establish an applicant pool for intermittent Substitute Teacher positions needed throughout the school year - positions are filled on an as-needed basis and there is no guarantee if or when a position in a specific location may become available.
Learn more about this agency
Your application to this vacancy announcement will expire 3 months after you apply - you will need to reapply if you wish to continue being considered.
Substitute teachers present instruction in accordance with an established lesson plan and curriculum to students in a classroom environment. AVID (Advanced Via Individual Determination) Tutors are advocates and role models for the students, responsible for reporting student progress to the teacher. They tutor students individually or in small groups, review the students' notes, entertain questions and discussions, determine the concepts which need to be reviewed, work with students in any phase of the writing process, and correct students' work.
Conditions Of Employment
- All eligibility and qualification requirements must be met at the time your application is submitted.
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens and reside within the local commuting area where the position is located. The local commuting area is defined as the geographic area surrounding a work site that encompasses the localities where people live and reasonably can be expected to travel back and forth daily to work based on the generally held expectations of the local community. (5 CFR 575.203)
- You will be required to participate in Direct Deposit/Electronic Fund Transfer in accordance with DoD Regulation 7000.14R.
- Selectee must undergo Background Checks IAW DoDI 1402.5 (e.g. Local Files Check, State Criminal History Records Check, and National Agency Check Inquiries). Employment in these positions is subject to successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet/maintain these requirements may be grounds for termination.
- This position requires a Tier 1 (T1) investigation with Childcare Checks since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age.
- See the "Additional Information" section for details on Ordinarily Resident status.
- Male applicants must meet Selective Service requirements.
- All eligibility and qualifications requirements must be met upon selection for the position.
- You will be required to participate in Direct Deposit/Electronic Fund Transfer in accordance with DoD Regulation 7000.14R
The minimum qualification requirement for a Substitute, TP-1701-AA, is a high school diploma or graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable. All materials must be submitted with your initial application package.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Foreign Entitlements: Permanent Change of Station (PCS) expenses, Living Quarters Allowance (LQA), and Post Allowance (PA) are not authorized.
Citizenship/Ordinarily Resident Status: Applicants must be U.S. citizens who are not considered Ordinarily Resident under the applicable Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). An ordinarily resident is anyone who has lived in the host country longer than the allowed number of days without being a member of the forces assigned, civilian component or a family member of either the aforementioned or who has obtained a work permit for any duration. Additionally, this position does not confer SOFA certification. Selectees must already be covered by the applicable SOFA agreement via other command-sponsored military, civilian, or eligible contractor employment - either on their own, or as an eligible dependent of a sponsor with SOFA certification.
Dual Citizens: Applicants who hold dual American/Italian/Spanish/Turkish/Bahraini citizenship will not be appointed to positions in Italy/Spain/Turkey/Bahrain. Citizenship eligibility will be verified prior to appointment.
Dual Compensation: The Dual Compensation Act prohibits an individual from receiving pay from more than one position for more than an aggregate of forty (40) hours of work in one calendar week. This prohibition applies to employees paid from either appropriated or non-appropriated funds, or a combination thereof, and includes temporary, part-time, flex-time, and intermittent appointments.
Time and attendance will be maintained and monitored by the home school. The home school is the specific school in which the substitute teacher is assigned to at time of hire. Substitute teachers may be shared between all other schools within complex at the discretion of the home school.
To claim veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (or other official document) containing your dates and character of service, and type of discharge. To claim 10-point veterans' preference you must also submit a completed SF-15 http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf, including the required supporting documentation indicated. Lack of supporting documentation will result in the agency's inability to recognize preference status for this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your résumé and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications, you may lose consideration for this position.
The Department of Defense Education Activity is committed to following the principle of veterans' preference as far as administratively feasible, and considers veteran status as a positive factor when reviewing applications.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required:
- Resumé, containing your current contact information (address, email address, and phone number), dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present), hours worked per week, and a detailed description of the duties performed for each job held
- U.S. Passport, a copy of your U.S. passport is required
- Transcripts - required if you are qualifying based on your education
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (a copy of your DD-214 that shows type of discharge and character of service, SF-15 and required attachments, VA letter, etc.)
- Eligibility documentation (see below)
You must submit the appropriate supporting documentation to verify your eligibility for appointment. At a minimum, eligibility documentation may include the following types of documents:
- A copy of your (or your sponsor's) PCS orders, verifying your coverage under the applicable SOFA agreement, and
- A copy of your marriage certificate, if your name is not listed on your sponsor's orders
- A copy of your (or your sponsor's) logistical support memorandum, verifying your coverage under the applicable SOFA agreement
- A copy of your most recent SF-50 (or equivalent), if a current federal employee
Note: Applicants will not be considered or rated if all appropriate documents are not included in their application packet.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
. It is your responsibility to verify that your resume is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.If you are unable to apply online, you may request an alternative application from the Human Resources Office. Please contact Europe South District Officeat email@example.com to obtain further instructions.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Since positions are filled on an as-needed basis, you will not receive another notification unless a vacancy occurs at a location for which you have requested consideration. If it does, your application will then be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the referral status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance