Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
Learn more about this agency
For over two centuries The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, Surface Forces Logistics center, Engineering Services Division, Baltimore, MD.
This position serves as Chief of the U.S. Coast Guard Surface Forces Logistics Center (SFLC), Engineering Services Division, Survivability and Sustainment Branch, Configuration Management Systems Section. The Section is responsible for the Coast Guard’s Configuration Management (CM) and Maintenance Management (MM) programs for Hull, Mechanical and Electrical (HM&E) equipment, as well as ordnance and electronics equipment installed on all cutters and boats.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team.
Typical work assignments include:
- Supervising a group of approximately seven equipment specialists performing work at the GS-12 level.
- Providing administrative and technical supervision necessary for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Overseeing the execution of Coast Guard programs that are broad in scope and mission, including establishment and implementation of command policies and guides to accomplish asset configuration management.
- Performing the administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
- Establishing guidelines and performance expectations for staff members, which are clearly communicated through the formal employee performance management system.
- Observing workers' performance; demonstrating and conducting work performance critiques.
- Providing informal feedback and periodically evaluating employee performance.
- Resolving informal complaints and grievances.
- Developing work improvement plans, recommending personnel actions as necessary.
- Providing advice and counsel to workers related to work and administrative matters.
- Effecting disciplinary measures as appropriate to the authority delegated in this area.
- Reviewing and approving or disapproving leave requests.
- Assuring that subordinates are trained and fully comply with the provisions of the safety regulations.
- The incumbent is responsible for furthering the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) by taking positive steps to assure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives and by adhering to nondiscriminatory employment practices in regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or handicap. Specifically, incumbent initiating nondiscriminatory practices and affirmative action for the area under his/her supervision in the following: (1) merit promotion of employees and recruitment and hiring of applicants; (2) fair treatment of all employees; (3) encouragement and recognition of employee achievements; (4) career development of employees; and (5) full utilization of their skills.
- Functioning as the Configuration Data / Maintenance Managers’ (CDMM) functional manager, and as such serving as a consultant to higher level management on CM and MM policies and procedures.
- Representing the organization in assigned system and equipment logistics matters as the Division CM representative to major task groups who originate and modifying system policy, plans, procedures and goals.
- Directs the development of guidelines to institute standardized categorizing, formatting and application of configuration item naming/numbering structures and associated technical documentation in order to enable efficient research and data analysis of maintenance, reliability, and failures from the enterprise applications.
25% or less - Travel 1 to 5 days per month
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Merit Promotion, Status Candidates, Current Federal Employees, Former Federal Employees, Overseas Employees, Former Overseas Employees, CTAP, ICTAP, VEOA, 30% Disabled, Schedule A, Individuals with Disabilities, Military Spouses, Peace Corps, Americorps, Vista
For definitions of common terms found in this announcement click here
Questions? This job is open to 7 groups.