Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates
01/15/2021 to 09/30/2021
Pay scale & grade
$36.04 to $42.04 per hour
WJ-7-$36.04 - $42.04 WJ-8-$37.62-$43.87
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
This recruitment is being hired using a Direct Hire Authority (DHA): Direct Hire Auth, Section 1109; PL, 116-92, dated 12/20/2019
This is a Standing Register [Open Continuous] Job Announcement that is expected to be used to fill full time positions when requested. The initial cut-off for referral consideration is going to be on or about 27 Jan 2021; applications received by this date will have the first opportunity for review. Applications received after this date will be considered as additional vacancies become available.
Learn more about this agency
- As a Third Mate aboard a sea going Hopper Dredge you will provide:
- Control of dredging operations and equipment during assigned dredging control watches.
- navigation, movement, logbooks. Speed and safety of the vessel and crew.
- Assist the Chief and Second Mates in accomplishment of repairs and performance of general maintenance
work by the deck department.
- Oversight for care of deck and superstructure.
- Handling of hawsers and mooring lines.
76% or greater - This position is aboard a dredging vessel, travel on the vessel is required (during dredging season). Schedules generally run 8 days on and 6 days off. Occasionally schedules change to other schedules.
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This is a mandatory drug Testing Designated Position (TDP), in accordance with EP 600-1-300, USACE Drug Testing Procedures for the Army's Drug-Free Federal Workplace (DFW) Program, dated 28 Feb 01.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job.
United States Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): for Third Mate, Dredge Control Officer, Hopper Dredge You must possess a current United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) Third Mate, Unlimited Oceans, or higher and a current Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC). - You MUST UPLOAD your USCG Credentials or you may be rated ineligible.- Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
Exposed to extremes of weather conditions, heat, and noise. There is danger of slippery decks and drowning.
Must wear appropriate safety gear and protective clothing as required, and comply with sound safety practices.
May be exposed to hot pipes, escaping steam, pressurized hydraulics and various hazardous materials.
Work requires moderate physical effort. Lifts and carries equipment and supplies normally up to 45 lbs and occasionally over 45 lbs. Work requires prolonged standing, walking and climbing, all of which can cause exertion of the lower back. The employee must maintain good lower back physical condition. Incumbent must
possess color and depth perception and be able to see by low visibility conditions in order to perform duties. The employee must be able to understand and communicate verbal directions, to include the use of radios and telecommunications.
PLEASE NOTE FOR ANNOUNCEMENT:
NOTE: You will be notified if/when a vacancy occurs and your application is reviewed for referral consideration. It is your responsibility to keep your application package up-to-date (your application will remain active for the life of this announcement).
Applicants will continue to receive consideration throughout the year on each subsequent referral certificate, unless a declination for further consideration is received. Applicants who decline consideration or selection may re-establish active consideration by submitting a new application package and will be considered at the time of next referral (next cut-off period).
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 24 - position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.
- Relocation Incentive may be authorized.
- You MUST UPLOAD your USCG Credentials or you may be rated ineligible.
- Management may promote to the full performance grade without any further competition.Noncompetitive promotion potential to target grade. Incumbent may be eligible for non-competitive promotion to target position upon meeting time-in-grade restrictions and the following requirements:(1) Incumbent demonstrates ability to perform at target grade level;(2) Higher level work exists at target grade level;(3) Increased responsibilities are assigned;(4) Supervisor recommends promotion;(5) Incumbent completes all required training, and conditions of employment; and(6) Incumbent completes all regulatory requirements for career ladder promotions. Consequently, promotion is not guaranteed.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement.
If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Veterans and Military Spouses will be considered along with all other candidates.
Background checks and security clearance
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 09/30/2021 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11011880).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking (as applicable) for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance