The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) is a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) agency. DLA provides worldwide logistics support for the missions of the Military Departments and the Unified Combatant Commands under conditions of peace and war. It also provides logistics support to other DoD Components and certain Federal agencies, foreign governments, international organizations, and others as authorized.
Learn more about this agency
By joining Defense Logistics Agency Distribution you will be a part of the team that is the leading provider of global distribution support to America's military. Whether you work at the DLA Distribution Headquarters in New Cumberland, Pa. or at one of our 24 distribution centers around the globe, your work will ensure that DLA Distribution offers the right solution, on time, every time through a broad range of services to include storage, distribution, customized kits, specialized packaging and world-wide transportation support. DLA Distribution makes a difference every day by providing effective, efficient and best value support to our customers which include the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force as well as other government agencies.
As a Transportation Assistant, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Plans, coordinates and controls shipment of material and equipment. Prepares shipment documentation for material and equipment shipped to include hazardous materials.
- Provides advice and assistance to customers concerning all aspects and phases of the DLA Distribution Depot transportation and distribution functions.
- Provides status, resolves problems, prepares reports and traces shipment upon requests. Provides traffic management support through selection, approval, procurement and use of safe and effective services carriers at the least cost to the government. Determines the most efficient economical rates and routes to final destination involving domestic inbound and export shipments, originating at any point worldwide.
- Is responsible for the classification, rating, routing and movement of a wide range of commodities, which includes hazardous materials. Plans shipping dates, material pick up and loading times of equipment and material to be shipped from DLA Distribution Depot to other government activities, both overseas and CONUS. Performs the day to day functions of the verification and payment of invoices utilizing various automated systems.
- Computes and verifies transportation costs and contacts carriers for rates when required.
- Determines economical routing based on technical review of guides and tariffs.
- Reviews automated documentation for all types of shipments taking appropriate action to correct any invalid, void, or missing information.
Physical Requirements: The work requires regular and recurring periods of prolonged standing, bending, and stretching at the shipment document counter and lifting packages up to 40 pounds.
Working Conditions: There is regular and recurring exposure to moderate discomforts and unpleasantness resulting from working in warehouse operations or similar work areas with low or high temperatures or high humidity, variable lighting or noisy conditions caused by fork lifts truck; and the risk of physical injury when performing work around large crates or uncrated items. The employee may be required to wear safety shoes and follow safety procedures common to a warehouse operation.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Permanent Federal Employee, Interchange Agreement Agency, and Former Federal Employee (In Commuting Area). ICTAP (Must be in Commuting Area). Individuals with Special Appointing Authorities: Individuals with Disabilities, 30% Disabled Vet or more, Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), Eligible Veterans (VRA). http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/AOC%20Eligibility%20Definitions%2020140611.pdf
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.