Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please: Click Here
Learn more about this agency
As a Transportation Security Specialist – Explosives Detection Canine Handler (TSS-EDCH) with the Office of Security Operations (OSO), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you will be responsible for conducting Passenger Screening Canine (PSC) and other Explosives Detection Canine (EDC) threat assessment/mitigation activities to ensure the safety of the traveling public and mitigate potential threats, in coordination with Airport Screening Operations. You will also apply knowledge gained through formal canine handler training to develop skills necessary to evaluate and reward canine behavior, guide canines during threat mitigation activities, and ensure effective utilization of canines. Other duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Utilizing canines to assess passengers in screening queues for potential explosives threats.
- Interacting with traveling public to respond to inquiries, establish a calm environment, and maximize the canine's ability to search.
- Coordinating and collaborating with other EDC program members, in scheduling work and training activities.
- Traveling to explosives magazine storage to obtain identified explosives to be used for canine training and ensuring variation of aids used to ensure canine proficiency. Loading explosives in designated containers and transporting to airports or other training locations.
- Utilizing risk-based security techniques and intelligence information to determine areas in which to use canines to conduct random sweeps, support playbook exercises, and to act as a visible deterrent to potential terrorist threats or criminal activity and to align training to mitigate known threats.
- Evaluating potential threats based on canine response (passenger or object) to determine action to be taken (e.g., have canine respond or call appropriate authorities).
- Performing a variety of administrative functions to include: logging work activities/time; updating training and utilization in canine-specific tracking systems to ensure documentation of canine behavior, potential training needs, and actions taken to correct canine behavior(s); entering vehicles usage/maintenance data; and entering/validating time and attendance, etc.
- Utilizing a variety of technology (e.g., iPhone, iPad, laptop, radio) to perform core work functions.
If selected for the Transportation Security Specialist - Explosives Detection Canine Handler position, in addition to the duties outlined above, you will also be responsible for performing daily care of the canine including health maintenance, feeding/watering, exercising, and grooming, as well as maintaining safe and sanitary conditions of TSA-issued equipment (e.g., kennel, vehicle, office space, and home environment).
Note: The duties of this position are observed and reviewed frequently for technical accuracy, application of canine handling methods and techniques, and results.
Occasional travel - A minimum of one (1) week of travel in a full-time duty status will be required within 90-days of entry on duty to complete TSA’s in residence New Hire Training. This training will occur away from the employee’s duty station of record. Employees will be paid for compensable hours and reimbursed for authorized travel expenses per TSA Travel Policy.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to All U.S. Citizens and U.S. Nationals.
Salary range listed includes Locality Pay of 18.43% and Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) of 10.99%.
This position is located at Honolulu International Airport (HNL) in Honolulu, HI.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.