Wage and Hour Specialist
Wage and Hour Division
Few vacancies in the following location:
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 1/6/2017
Closes Wednesday 1/18/2017
Salary Range $94,796.00 to $123,234.00 / Per Year
Series & GradeGS-1849-13/13
Promotion Potential 13
Supervisory Status No
Who May Apply All current, Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division employees with competitive status. CTAP eligibles in the local commuting area. Qualified Land Management Eligibles.
Control Number 462096400
Job Announcement Number MS-17-HRC-WHD-117
About the Agency
DOL seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
This position is located in the Division of Regulations, Legislation, and Interpretation (DRLI), Office of Policy of the Wage and Hour Division (WHD). The incumbent will be performing senior staff level assignments with significant responsibilities in the development, formulation, coordination, clearance, issuance and dissemination of official agency interpretation, through opinion letters, regulations and other official directives, that explain highly complex, potentially controversial, and important nationwide policies followed y the WHD under all the statutory and regulatory requirements administered. Assignments may involve issues of unique or unprecedented scope that seek to explain for the first time new or revised interpretations when few related background materials are available.
- This position has no promotion potential.
- This position is inside the bargaining unit.
- This vacancy may be used to fill additional like positions.
- Formulates, initiates, performs, and on occasion may lead others in the conduct of major and, at times unprecedented developmental and exploratory special studies on selected interpretative issues and program initiatives to identify problems and develop policy and regulatory and interpretative options in the assigned WHD programs to serve as a basis for revisions in interpretations, program policies, or regulations. These studies and other coordinated efforts may ultimately result in or significantly contribute to major legislative, regulatory, and/or policy initiatives.
- Identifies, interpretative issues involving new policy, special public sensitivity, or unprecedented issues (usually involving complex or novel interpretations that have nationwide implications or impact); verifies uniformity and consistency in the interpretation and application of WHD program statuses, regulations, policies, and procedures; and resolved interpretative questions in assigned areas.
- Conducts comprehensive analysis to present clear and convincing rationales that are legally and technically sound to support new interpretations or to present accurate and critical information on proper methods of compliance with laws and regulations.
- Performs senior level work related to writing, rewriting, and editing various documents regarding topics related to Wage and Hour compliance. Develops and reviews written products that articulate, interpret and explain highly complex, potentially controversial, and important agency policies, programs, and research findings.
- Prepares responses to inquiries from employers, employees, unions, business associations, State and local government officials, and members of Congress concerning WHD program enforcement guidelines and interpretations and responses to requests under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Originates approaches in developing and explaining authoritative interpretations of statutes, regulations and program policies of the WHD in response to legislative or judicial action, new or revised regulations, policies or programs, internal analyses, and requests from national and regional organizations or associations and WHD field staff; develops and drafts new or revised interpretations, program policies, regulations, and other guideline materials to implement new or amended statutory provisions or to reflect policy changes, and initiates steps to facilitate the timely clearance, approval, issuance, and distribution of those materials.
- Provides technical expertise to WHD Regional Office and District Office officials concerning opinion letters issued and the interpretation and application of statutes and regulations under the assigned statutes.
- Coordinates with the Office of the Solicitor (SOL) to obtain advice on legal matters arising during, for example, the interpretation, enforcement, and administration of the statutes and regulation of the WHD programs. Also, ensures that documents setting out overall interpretations, enforcement policies, regulations, procedures, etc. are legally correct.
- Provides information for meetings, briefings, conferences, public speaking engagements, and training programs involving WHD staff or various outside parties concerning interpretations and other aspects of the opinion letter process.
- Assesses the need for, undertakes plans for, clears, conducts, or on occasion leads others in analyzing, developing and recommending policy options for implementation of new or revised interpretations of WHD program statutes and regulations within the National Office and by the nationwide field staff.
How to Apply