Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Clarification from the agency
Open to U.S. Citizens/Nationals
WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
Customer Assistance, Relationship and Education
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
One or more vacancies may be filled at the other locations listed in the overview section of this announcement as they become available.
Please see the "additional information" section for the locations that are currently being filled. The number of vacancies has not yet been determined for the following POD's. If vacancies become available in these locations, this announcement will be amended, and a new cutoff date will be established to fill the additional vacancies as needed.
- Identifies, analyzes, and makes suggestions for resolution or correction to reduce barriers impacting the effectiveness of operations and improve efficiency of the work area.
- Examines returns, supporting documents, and monetary receipts for completeness and discrepancies, as well as monitors and tracks information for sampling requirements prior to transmission to Submission Processing Centers.
- Makes initial determinations on filing extensions, assigns Employer Identification Numbers, processes Power of Attorney requests, resolves and assists taxpayers with entry discrepancies at kiosk terminals and inquiries on basic tax law, forms, and IRS services such as W-2, W-7, obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, filing requirements, filing status, and VITA locations.
MA0131 - Boston, MA
NY7340 - Buffalo, NY
NJ5114 - Cherry Hill, NJ
NJ4541 - Edison, NJ
PA0949 - Lancaster, PA
NJ0056 - Newark, NJ
PA0656 - Reading, PA
NY7064 - Rochester NY
MD1123 - Salisbury MD
NY7357 - Syracuse, NY
NY6385 - White Plains NY
DE0016 - Wilmington, DE
PA0896 - York, PA
GA2004 - Atlanta, GA
NC2668 - Greensboro, NC
PR4001 - Guaynabo, PR
FL2257 - Maitland, FL
PR4069 - Mayaguez, PR
FL0061 - Miami, FL
FL2437 - Plantation, FL
PR4070 - Ponce, PR
NC1151 - Raleigh, NC
VA0008 - Vienna, VA
DC0198 - Washington, DC
MO2011- Kansas City, MO
TX2982 - San Antonio, TX
SD1317 - Sioux Falls, SD
CA7102 - Bakersfield, CA
CA7898 - Fresno, CA
CA0150 - Los Angeles, CA
CA8050 - San Bernardino, CA
CA0154 - San Francisco, CA
CA6116 - San Jose, CA
CA7395 - Santa Ana, CA
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
- Telework Eligible Positions: Telework eligible positions do not guarantee telework. Employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements (e.g., reporting at least twice a pay period to your assigned Post of Duty (POD)) and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. Employees must also be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service.
One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-05 LEVEL:
You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular competencies needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. This may be paid or non-paid experience. Examples of qualifying experience may include conducting basic research and applying information as necessary, interacting and communicating (orally and in writing) with customers, performing office duties.
Bachelor's degree or four years of education above high school in any field of study from an accredited college or university.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
If applying to a bilingual position, you will be required to demonstrate proficiency in Spanish.
You must be able to speak, read and write the selected language in order to be considered proficient in that language. If you indicate language proficiency, you may be tested at some point in the hiring process to determine if you possess the required level of proficiency. If you are unable to demonstrate proficiency, you will not be qualified for these positions.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
Though many locations may be listed, you will be limited to a maximum of 3 location choices. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
- Subject to a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Full-time, Day shift, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 6-months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s): 05/19/2023, 06/19/2023, 07/19/2023, 08/18/2023, 09/18/2023, 10/18/2023
. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 6-month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants who apply by the initial cut-off date, will be referred in score order. If additional vacancies exist, remaining applicants will be considered in score order as needed. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) 11/15/2023.
If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
These are the locations and the number of current vacancies available:
1 vacancy in GA0087 - Atlanta, GA
1 vacancy in PR4028 - Humacao, PR
1 vacancy in VA0088 - Richmond, VA
2 vacancies in PR4068 - Guaynabo, PR
1 vacancy in FL2402 - Tampa, FL
1 vacancy in TX2292 - Austin, TX
1 vacancy in TX0284 - Dallas, TX
1 vacancy in TX0302 - Farmers Branch, TX
1 vacancy in TX0224 - Fort Worth, TX
1 vacancy in TX2298 - Houston, TX
1 vacancy in TX0298 - Houston, TX
1 vacancy in TX1861 - Houston, TX
1 vacancy in TX0297- Houston, TX
1 vacancy in TX0230 - Lubbock, TX
1 vacancy in MN1674 - Mankato, MN
1 vacancy in TN0052 - Nashville, TN
1 vacancy in NE0051 - Omaha, NE
1 vacancy in LA1340 -Shreveport, LA
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics):
- Decision Making
- Oral Communication
- Technical Competence
- Workload Management
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. Candidates, if required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring practices), will be interviewed in quality group order. We will not
reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Qualified preference eligibiles who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CPS, CP) are placed at the top of the highest category on the referral list (except for scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Remaining preference eligibles are placed above non-preference eligibles within their assigned category.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
,you must receive a score of Highly Qualified or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Resume - Your resume MUST contain dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or to present). To ensure you receive full credit for relevant experience, include the hours worked per week. We recommend that your resume not exceed 5 pages, only the first 5 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications. If including Federal service experience, provide pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Your resume must NOT include photographs, inappropriate content, or personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number. If your resume does not contain the required information specified, or contains prohibited information as listed above, your application will be determined incomplete, and you will not receive consideration for this position. (Cover letters are optional.) Please view Resume Tips.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (if applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Veterans' Preference (if applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. If you are serving under active duty, provide certification from the Armed Forces that you will be discharged or released within 120 days from the date of certification. The certification must indicate your dates of service, rank and that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the form if you are a 10-point preference eligible. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) (if applicable) - You MUST submit the required documentation as outlined at: Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP). If you are an IRS CTAP eligible, you can apply for jobs within and outside the commuting area. If you are a Treasury CTAP eligible can apply for jobs within the commuting area.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) (if applicable) - If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click Interchange Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 11/15/2023 and/or cut-off dates in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 11/15/2023.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11959682
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 11/15/2023.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login
. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status
means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at https://www.jobs.irs.gov/midcareer/reasonable-accommodation.html. We provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.